Rallye Wheel Center Caps

Decided to do a little cleanup of some '71 Rallye Wheel centre caps (appliques) that I bought off eBay, I have seven in total some are the correct dark (charcoal) colour for '71 and some are the argent silver for 1970. I loosely followed an article that I have from a June 1991 Musclecar Review magazine. Materials I used include: Eastwood's Charcoal Rallye Wheel paint, 000-grade steel wool, chrome polish, 3M masking tape, and new rallye wheel center cap inserts. This is the procedure I followed:

1. Use a fine grade scuff pad like a 3M or Scotch to rough up the area which will allow the paint to adhere. Be sure to get into all the hard-to-reach areas, like lug nut holes.

2. Use the steel wool to to clean the unpainted chrome areas and use a polish to then polish those areas.

3. Mask off the clean chrome areas with 3M masking tape, leave some overhang and then trim off the pieces with a sharp knife or razor blade. Mask the back of the holes to prevent overspray.

4. Then paint the cap keeping the spray approx. 18-30 inches away, remember to turn the cap around a few times to get all the areas and 100% coverage.

Here is the finish product, with a fresh coat of paint and a new center cap insert which I purchased off eBay. I think they look good enough and I spent about 1.5hrs and less than $40. The taping and masking was the time consuming part.

Interior
I had removed the interior years ago, originally gold with a benchseat. I replaced the bench with one green and one white bucket seat that I had purchased and some panels from my previous SE that had the blue interior. Some of the panels I painted black (bad vinyl spray) and the back seat. I think I'm going to go with a white interior. Still debating the exterior colour.

Some more, I still have one of the Chrysler issued trash bags that came with the car. POR-15, peeled in a lot of places, yes I followed the directions, that was applied in 1992.

Back seat area:

Trunk:

More - really not bad, the trunk has some surface rust and all floorboards are pretty solid.

Last edited by CDN72SE; 05/03/18 03:12 PM.