update:

okay, I did some sleuthing this afternoon and came up with some interesting results:

I jacked up the front end to get under the Demon, and when I set it down, it was back to its high altitude again, where it was before I drove it last. I jounced the vehicle again, and it only went down about halfway, and was sitting in the place I wanted it. Weird.

Anyway, I marked the torsion bars on the front and rear. In the front, I marked it at the retaining nut in the lower control arm and on the control arm right next to the mark on the nut. In the rear, I marked the crossmember and the corresponding place on the torsion bar cylindrical retainer with the internal hex in it.

I backed out of the driveway and my steering was great. I was able to stop and steer just fine. But halfway down the block again, it began to sag. It went back again to where it was before I had even jacked it up.

So back in the driveway, I got under the car to look at my marks, and they were all still lined up. Maybe I didn't put the marks in the right place?

Anyway, I was thinking about the toe-out/in comment as well, and measured the toe. When the driver's side wheel is straight, the passenger side wheel is probably 15-25* toed out, if that makes any difference. I also have probably 5-7* of negative camber, but only when the ride height is bottomed out (which it does when I drive it). I'd fix the alignment myself, but I can't find the procedure in my service manual, nor can I find a good simple article online.

So it looks like I'm driving the Demon across town (through traffic) with severe toe-out and camber to get it to the aligment shop

Last edited by sharpie; 06/12/08 12:31 AM.