Moparts

torsion bar issues? (UPDATED with pics now)

Posted By: sharpie

torsion bar issues? (UPDATED with pics now) - 06/07/08 02:16 AM

Because I re-did my front end, I had to unload my torison bars. Well, after I got everything buttoned up, I cranked the torsion bars up again. I got the car pretty high up, too far actually, and then brought them down to a pretty low front ride height.

Because the tire was very close (1/8") from the wheelwell, I cranked it up just a bit. I jounced the car multiple times to "settle" it, and it seemed to stay in the right place.

To test the brakes, I took it around the block, and upon returning, I noticed that the ride height sank right back down to 1/8" from the tires. I looked under the car, and the adjusting bolts were where they were prior to the sinking.

And so yesterday, I cranked the adjusting bolt clockwise again to bring the height up. It looked fine, even after a good thorough jouncing, but again right after taking it around the block just once, maybe 1 minute of driving, I could see and feel the suspension sink again. The adjusting bolt again didn't back out, but I am really confused. Any ideas? TIA
Posted By: charger RTSE

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/07/08 12:40 PM

Check that the end of the adjustment bolt is seated corectly in the groove where it is suposed to go.
Posted By: BDW

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/07/08 12:59 PM

Not sure how much you adjusted it, but some settling is normal. I just rebuilt my front end and had same issue. With everthing new it didn't settle until after driving. It would sit higher when lowered from floor jack. Had to drive it after each adjustment to get the right ride height.

Given all that, it should raise the front-end if you tighten the adjuster. Just hard to tell the exact amount until you drive it a few miles.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/07/08 03:03 PM

Brian crank them up higher then you want them & do it again.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/07/08 03:05 PM

I have found that for every one complete turn of the adjustment bolt you gain a half inch in heigth.

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/07/08 03:35 PM

Quote:

Check that the end of the adjustment bolt is seated corectly in the groove where it is suposed to go.

Will do.

Quote:

I have found that for every one complete turn of the adjustment bolt you gain a half inch in heigth.

I cranked them about seven threads each time, and every time I drove it, it settled back to a place where I literally couldn't notice a difference from where it was before I started, if that makes any sense.

Quote:

Brian crank them up higher then you want them & do it again.

I did, which is why I am so perplexed. I actually have a picture or two:

I started here:

and after a single trip around the block, it went down to:

So then I increased height again to the first picture, and it settled right back down to the second picture with no noticeable height difference from before increasing height the second time.
Posted By: G_T

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/07/08 03:41 PM

Get under the car and check the torsion bar attachment points. I've seen one case where the welds on one of the rear attachment points broke and the whole deal could turn in frame. Case of rot. I highly doubt this is it - but check both end.

By now you should be running out of adjustment on the bolts. Is the adjustment bolt fully seated yet - and/or is the adjustment cam/arm really cranked over?
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/07/08 08:04 PM

Your toe may be off. If the toe is set too far in it will suck the front end down when you drive it. Make sure the alignment is set properly.

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/07/08 10:25 PM

No way a car should drop that far. You got a major problemm somewhere. Check the torsion bar mounts like was said.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/08/08 06:16 AM

Quote:

No way a car should drop that far. You got a major problemm somewhere. Check the torsion bar mounts like was said.

It will with too much toe-in. I've seen it. Once we got the toe adjusted properly it stopped sucking the front end down.

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/08/08 02:58 PM

To do that with toe in the tires would almost have to be pointing at each other.
Posted By: burdar

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/09/08 06:02 PM

Quote:

Get under the car and check the torsion bar attachment points. I've seen one case where the welds on one of the rear attachment points broke and the whole deal could turn in frame.

That is my guess. An easy way to check this is to use a greese pensil(or crayon) and mark the torsion bar socket and the frame. Drive the car around the block and make sure your marks still line up. If they don't, the socket is spinning in the frame. Good luck!
Posted By: 500ciDuster

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/09/08 06:08 PM

I agree with Jim, bach up and see if it comes back up

Mitch
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/09/08 07:36 PM

Quote:

I agree, major problems. Your bars must be spinning in there mounts taking tension out while you drive. I have never seen a front end that high!
Posted By: 70Coronet500Vert

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/09/08 08:12 PM

Dude,

Mine do the same thing. I set the car up, go drive it, park it, get back in it and it is on th ground. Looks cool, but damn is it low.

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/10/08 10:33 AM

When you pulled the front end appart you didnt mix up the bars they are marked on the ends L left R right.
Posted By: 70Coronet500Vert

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/10/08 12:02 PM

I did not, well, which is the left side of the car?

Also, I have been drivign mine 2 yrs this way and I figure they would have snapped by now if they were on the wrong side.....

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/10/08 03:05 PM

Drivers right,drivers left.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/10/08 03:22 PM

huh?
Posted By: moepwr

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/10/08 03:38 PM

As you sit in the car looking out windshield.

Left is drivers side, right passengers
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/10/08 03:40 PM

The driver sides is the left

The passenger sides is right.

If you can't remeber a cars go by left to right as you were sitting in it.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/10/08 03:58 PM

Quote:

Not all the time...

Posted By: 540challenger

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/10/08 05:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not all the time...

wow those car just makes me I mean how would you get your food if you went in a drive thru. J/K Is one of those a mopar i spy
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/10/08 06:25 PM

Those are all Oz Valiants...top one is my old VG coupe (sold a little while back) then my Aussie Charger, and bottom is my newest VG I just got in Oz and is on it's way here now...due in about a weekish actually.

Oh, and as for drive throughs..there is an In & Out Burger locally here I've been to in a bunch of the Oz cars, they have drive throughs on both sides of the place

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/11/08 01:14 PM

Right is right Left is left

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/11/08 01:32 PM

So...back on topic...Sharpie, have you had time to check this out further? I'm interested to find out what the problem is.

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/11/08 02:27 PM

Quote:

So...back on topic...Sharpie, have you had time to check this out further? I'm interested to find out what the problem is.

I haven't had time to check it out yet. I've been going through my last finals week at UC Davis and have been studying hard. That said, I should have an update this evening; I am going to raise the front end again, mark the bars, and drive it around the block, like was suggested

Quote:

When you pulled the front end appart you didnt mix up the bars they are marked on the ends L left R right.

I didn't actually remove the torsion bars when I replaced the front end. The only thing I did to change the behavior of the torsion bars was to fully unload them by turning the adjusting bolts under the lower control arms counter-clockwise until the plates that hold the bolts in line were just barely loose. They never had the chance to unseat themselves as far as I know.

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/12/08 04:29 AM

update:

okay, I did some sleuthing this afternoon and came up with some interesting results:

I jacked up the front end to get under the Demon, and when I set it down, it was back to its high altitude again, where it was before I drove it last. I jounced the vehicle again, and it only went down about halfway, and was sitting in the place I wanted it. Weird.

Anyway, I marked the torsion bars on the front and rear. In the front, I marked it at the retaining nut in the lower control arm and on the control arm right next to the mark on the nut. In the rear, I marked the crossmember and the corresponding place on the torsion bar cylindrical retainer with the internal hex in it.

I backed out of the driveway and my steering was great. I was able to stop and steer just fine. But halfway down the block again, it began to sag. It went back again to where it was before I had even jacked it up.

So back in the driveway, I got under the car to look at my marks, and they were all still lined up. Maybe I didn't put the marks in the right place?

Anyway, I was thinking about the toe-out/in comment as well, and measured the toe. When the driver's side wheel is straight, the passenger side wheel is probably 15-25* toed out, if that makes any difference. I also have probably 5-7* of negative camber, but only when the ride height is bottomed out (which it does when I drive it). I'd fix the alignment myself, but I can't find the procedure in my service manual, nor can I find a good simple article online.

So it looks like I'm driving the Demon across town (through traffic) with severe toe-out and camber to get it to the aligment shop

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/12/08 05:07 PM

Posted By: 68CoronetRT

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/12/08 06:14 PM

Quote:

If they are not spinning in the holes then maybe its time for some new torsion bars.

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/12/08 10:06 PM

I don't understand how you can keep tightening the adjusters? Aren't you running out of thread?

As stated earlier, the rear mount has to be broken.

Keep us posted, this just doesn't make sense.

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/12/08 10:40 PM

It doesn't make sense to be either, which is why I am asking

But to answer your question, I have the head of the adjusting bolt about level with the underside of the control arm. The problem is, the height level is equal to where it was when the bolt head was about two inches from the control arm undersurface.

Re: torsion bar issues? - 06/12/08 11:24 PM

Well, you should have at least 2" more of adjustment. Crank it up and see what happens.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/13/08 01:13 AM

Is the tip of the adjusting bolt in the cup of the t-bar lever?
Posted By: G_T

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/13/08 01:39 AM

Sharpie - take some close up pics of both sides of the front and back of the attachment points. It may be that the bar and where you marked are both turning within the frame. Are the marks still in alignment with the frame itself?

You should be running out of adjustment on the bars. Can you show us a pic of where it is at (the bolt going thru the cam).

Is it is doing this the same on both sides?

I can only think of a couple of reasons why this would happen:

1) Bars are spinning at the attachment points - either hex end is stripped/rounded, or attachment point is spinning in frame.

2) Bolts on cams are stripped and pushing out when you drive it. You crank it up, but drive it and it pushes the stud out of the cam. Repeat.

3) Alignment it out of wack pushing the front end down. If this is the case, you should be able to drive it and reverse and it should rise back to where you have it. Alternately, you should be able to jack the front of the car up under the K-frame and lower it again and it should go back to the original cranked up height.

4) Retaining clips are missing out the back of the rear attachment point - allowing the bar to back out and spin. I *seriously* doubt this is it. Bad things would happen.

5) Frame is rusted and the whold back piece is spinning/bending (doubtful).

6) Bars are completely shot/fatigued and won't hold their spring (where the bars ever heated or in a fire)? I would think if this was the case the bars would fail.

7) Something physically bent/jacked with the cams.

8) We are all on drugs.

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/13/08 02:35 AM

Gonna take a LOT of pictures, and they'll be up tonight

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/13/08 04:16 AM

Alright, here's some photos for you:

Driver's side t-bar rear mount (notice grease mark):

Passenger's side t-bar rear mount (grease mark again):

Passenger's side inside the hex:

As you can see, I am toed a bit out:

And negatively cambered a lot:

And sitting really low, too low in fact:

Here's the driver's side adjusting bolt height:

And the passenger's side:

And here's the passenger side hitting the cam:

I noticed something new today: I can lift each side up to the height I want it and it will literally stay there, until I drive it. There's no time lapse either, it won't fall after an hour or so. Only when I drive it. Or when I push down on the fender, then it goes down again to how you see it now.

Anything here strike anyone?

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/13/08 05:23 PM

weird!!!

I think you need another set of hands(and eyes) Is there anyone from this site that is in you area? You need someone under the car as you lift up and down on the front end to see what is happening. Just don't have anyone hang under the car as you drive it around the block.

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/13/08 06:11 PM

There's a lot of people around, but I don't know if anyone has the time. I'll check around, I guess. This is way too weird though...
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/13/08 08:17 PM

Quote:

I noticed something new today: I can lift each side up to the height I want it and it will literally stay there, until I drive it. There's no time lapse either, it won't fall after an hour or so. Only when I drive it. Or when I push down on the fender, then it goes down again to how you see it now.

In a former life, I was a front-end mechanic. Not that that exempts me from being a bulletin board blow-hard... I could be both at the same time. Consider (for a moment at least) my comments in light of the former, and not the latter.

Your observations and photos seem to put to rest the theory that the rear t-bar mounts are spinning in the frame.

I would suggest an approach on two fronts:

a. Unnecessary red herrings easily resolved.
b. What height your car "wants" to be at.

Unnecessary red herrings.

It is unlikely that whacky alignment settings are changing your car's ride height as you drive it. Nevertheless, you would be well-served to get the tires pointed somewhat sensibly, even if only to drive across town to the shop. Doing anything about caster is not on the table (no alignment mechanic pun intended), absent a gauge. Many people choose to eyeball camber - you might choose not to. However, there really isn't any excuse not to adjust your toe. You'll need some chalk or tire crayon, and a tape measure.

Measure and mark a point at a consistent "bump" in the thread groove on each tire (front and back) at the same height up from the floor. Measure the distance between the points at the back side of the tires and at the front. Using the tie rod sleeves, adjust it so that the reading at the front is about 1/8" less that the rear. If you are clever about the sleeve(s) being changed, you may get your steering wheel pointed better at the same time. Or maybe screw it up worse.

Do this not because it will change the height problem much [I don't hold out much hope]. Do it because it's fairly easy and the right thing to do.

At what height does your car "want" to be?

Normally, a car will return to where it "wants" to be fairly easily while parked in your driveway - you get some bouncing action up and down, and then let go. At first blush, it seems pretty straight-forward: the T-bar is wound to a certain point, and [if it stays there] will support the fixed weight of the nose of your car at a given height. Don't change the t-bar winding or the weight, and everything stays the same. Absent forces being exerted by the control arm bushings and the shocks, this should hold true in practice.

So, what about the shocks and bushings?

If the shocks are not funny, gas-charged units, or extremely old, bent things that are binding, I would have a hard time making a case that they are masking where your car "wants" to be. Are your shocks funny gas-charged units, or old & bent?

The textbook on front-end repair will advise you to leave the bushing loose until you get the car to it's correct ride height, and only then do you fully tighten the nut on the LCA pivot shaft and the UCA eccentrics. You stated that you worked on the front end... did you replace any bushings, or perhaps just tighten the bejesus out of the connections I just described while the arm(s) were at a funny angle? The torsion imparted by a bushing tightened at a nonsensical position should not be discounted. If any of this is a possibility, consider loosening things up a bit, messing with the t-bar adjustment some more, bouncing it statically, and then tightening them down again.

My gut feel is that you have not yet established the height at which your car "wants" to be, and have been overly conservative at cranking on the adjustment bolts. From your quote above, your car seems to be more willing to "stay" at a static height than it should be. This leads you to be making too small of adjustments when cranking them up. Maybe you even need another flat on the t-bars. Crank on those babies.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Being a college kid, I thought you might tolerate the more detailed response.

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/13/08 08:48 PM

Seriously, thank you for the response. The only bushings that were replaced were the upper control arms. I tightened the bolts prior to adjustment, but it seemed like the arms were able to move?

My question is with camber adjustment. I understand there's cams on the bolts, but I don't really understand how they work, can anyone clarify that to me?

I didn't do any work on the lowers, other than jacking them up while under no load to get the upper ball joint stud into the spindle hole, so I don't think anything's been loosened/tightened there.

Finally, I'll take pictures of my shocks tonight. They're definitely old, but don't look bent, and I can't tell whether they're gas charged or not.

Thanks for the help though!
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/13/08 09:20 PM

It wouldn't hurt to loosen the eccentrics a bit and then bounce. It will be necessary to do so if you're going to mess with camber.

There is also some eye-of-the-beholder going on about how easily your car stays at a given height. Bouncing statically is one thing, driving down the road is another (and a much better way to establish where your car "wants" to be). Don't sweat the stays issue - just crank the bars some more.

As for camber...

On a simplistic level, your car steers by pivoting the steering knuckle about an imaginary line that passes through the upper and lower ball joints. The angle that this imaginary line is out [or in] from pure vertical is camber. Out at the top of the wheel is positive camber; in is negative. If you are going for the home-alignment-before-driving-to-the-shop method, be satisfied with getting it vertical, and don't fret about nuances.

The amount the same imaginary line is back (or forward) from pure vertical is caster. Back at the top is positive; forward is negative. Forget doing this at home. Alignment mechanics "measure" this by inferring the angle from a change in camber as the tire swings through a set number of degrees of turn. Confused? Don't sweat it. Worry about camber and be done.

Both camber and caster get adjusted at the same time by messing with the eccentrics at the UCA bushings. If you adjust only one of them, you will change both caster and camber at the same time (imagine where the upper ball joint is moving in space relative to the lower ball joint). To adjust one angle without significantly changing the other, one must move BOTH eccentrics. Going the same amount in the same direction messes with camber, while leaving caster relatively unchanged. Going the same amount, but in opposite directions adjusts caster while steering clear [again, he goes with the puns] of camber changes.
Posted By: demon440

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/13/08 09:25 PM

Umm, your car is broke.
Send it to me since my Demon is
lonely. J/K..
probably just wore out bars sagging.
Good Luck.

Attached picture 4486730-000_0066(Small)(2).jpg

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/15/08 04:25 PM

Posted By: west

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/15/08 05:02 PM

hey sharpie,i got some used 870/890 bars you can have for free.let me know.
Posted By: mopeman

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/15/08 05:44 PM

When I adjusted my bars, the bolt head is inside the lower control arm by a 1 inch or so.

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/17/08 05:15 AM

Another update:

I corrected the toe-in as best I could (with a measuring tape and a level), and while I was fixing that, I went ahead and loosened the cam bolts on the drivers side upper control arm. Well, low and behold, I brought it down when I was finished and the camber was corrected. I have slight positive camber now, but I drove it around and the tires dont howl.

What's more is that I may have fixed my torsion bar issues! When I brought it down, the car was at the upper height again. I thought, okay, now I have to push it down. Well, I couldn't. Not only that, but the suspension was MUCH more rebounding than normal. I took it around the block and when I came back, the suspension hadn't sagged. I drove it again today with the same results.

I did, however, notice one problem I think:

These are Wilwood front fixed calipers, so there shouldn't be this much drag on the rotor, right?

For reference, each of the four piston sticks out about 1/8", and I checked that there was no pressure from the master cylinder. It looks like the cups are stuck in the out position.
Posted By: RTDude

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/17/08 01:42 PM

If the rotor will spin freely then no worries on the pads touching the rotor like that.

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/17/08 01:49 PM

some drag is normal

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/17/08 05:34 PM

rotor/hub spins 1/2 turn without the wheel on it, and the wheel spins maybe 3-4 times.
Posted By: RTDude

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/17/08 05:56 PM

Sounds good to me.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/17/08 05:56 PM

Sounds normal.
Posted By: RV2

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) - 06/18/08 12:21 AM

Jim Lusk called it,he said it was the toe adjustment.
© 2024 Moparts Forums