Quote:

Quote:

What's the first thing we do when we want to validate a car? Look at the VIN! I agree with the other poster, that this is the true meaning of a vehicles worth.

The first thing? Maybe so, but it's just the beginning. The next thing you'd need to do is determine if it's the original VIN tag or not. Even then all the VIN tag will tell you are the basics, Model-Engine-Plant-Model Year- Sequence Number, that's it!

It tells you NOTHING about the other options that the car originally had, not even the most basic options like transmission or body color, and sometimes a single option can drastically change the level of interest/desirability/value, etc. that the car might garner.

I agree with much of this. However regarding the V.I.N. plate being REAL, for me, if it passes DMVs inspection or is not visably suspect or undectable as compared to others that is good enough for me. Remember, it is the ONLY thing that carries any FEDERAL PENALTIES for tampering with. You can't say that about a fender tag, BCS or body ID numbers for that matter. I refer you back to my original post in this thread on page 2 that says:

4. The majority of the members on Moparts that think the BS is so important don't even understand how much of it is specific to THAT particular car. Example, lets use a 1969 Charger R/T. It came with either a 440 or a Hemi, which is coded in the V.I.N. Other items that are specific to THIS particular car that will be different from any other 1969 Charger R/T on the BS are the specific options that were ordered. The Hemi engine triggered certain items over the 440 and were reflected on the BS, but these very same items are identifable on the subject car by simply reseaching GGs white books which are basically just a cumulative source of info gathered from parts books and sales codes so what do you really need a BS for? Sure there is a VON and a sequence number on it and if the fender tag is missing you won't know these thing, but why do we really care? Why do we care what position it came down the line vs. any other car? We know that the SPD portion of the VON is just a GUESS as to when it was actually made so why do we care if we know the true SPD given by the factory. If it is really important to someone they can research registries for their car and compare V.I.N.S/VONS of other cars assembled at the same plant to determine just as accurate a time period. My point is that there is VERY LITTLE that the BS tells us that we can't figure out based on what we already know from the V.I.N. info that really effects the value of the car or can't be figure out from scrutinizing the particular car. Yes, there are some exceptions for some models/years regarding options like a shaker hood for value and some codes that are effected by things like axle packages but these codes are also easy enought to determine what triggers them on a specific car.

5. I have always said, PUT YOUR FAITH IN THE V.I.N. which many have poo pooed. They claim that it too can be reproduced or changed. Yes, that is true, but it is the ONE thing that carries HEAVY FEDERAL PENALTIES for doing so. The ONLY legal identifier for an old auto is the V.I.N. plate and it's matching title. The title is easily obtained but the V.I.N. plate is an entirely different item. Mopar owners of these old car are lucky that the V.I.N. spells out the model and engine that account for 90% of the value (or potential value) of thes old cars. For the most part the trans. and the color combo (which is a matter of taste) are the only things that really make any kind of economic sense regarding the value of most specific cars. Why? because the cost of adding an option to a car is outweighed by the cost of purchasing and installing it, so there is no economic advantage, only something someone would do for their own enjoyment.

To ME, the bottom line is that for MOPARS the broadcast sheet does not carry NEARLY the weight that it does for some other makes that don't have the luxury of a model and engine identifing V.I.N.
WAY TOO MUCH value is given to a broadcast sheet.