don't remember what year it was, but somewhere in the 70's there was pro-stock match racing every wednesday nite at e-town. i loved the pro stocks, especially the mopars. went every wednesday nite and always took as many pictures as i could. one particular nite, i was wandering the pits and came across the motown missle. walked up and started talking with don carlton. even told him that i owned an original ro23 car. he wanted to hear more but had to get the car ready for racing, so he says, i have no crew to help me, wanna stay and help. my heart fell to the floor. here was a legend asking me to help him crew his car. the guy was so down to earth it was contagious. it was probably the first time being able to stand on the starting line and not racing my own car. he didn't win the race and i finished by helping him load the car onto the trailer. he thanked me and said come by anytime. took him up on his offer any time he showed up after that. it really hit home when i learned of his accident.
another short story. i always was able to secure tickets to the summer nationals which gave me access to the front of the timing tower. well just so happened that the baseball strike had just occurred. i'm making my way up to the fence and bump right into mr october himself, reggie jackson. didn't know at that time he was such a car nut.
another e-town highlight was sitting in the stands and video taping garlits when he made his famous blow over backwards run right in front of me.