Quote:

Quote:

I have actually have tried the solution on painted items and it did leave the paint intact and glossy!

Obviously for some heavily corroded or rust covered parts the surface won't matter and the acid approach is a valid choice, but my comments on more delicate surfaces are not simply "Another Opinion" it's verifiable fact.

Acids are corrosive to most metals and many other materials, not just rust. You may have had an example of one paint that was not affected, but you can't say that accross the board it won't harm paint.

Products like Evap-O-Rust do not harm ANYTHING but the rust itself.

.....And no, I don't work for Evap-O-Rust

Actually your mistaking on this! the ph value of evaporust is 6 they claim 6-7.1 @ 1%
anything below a 7 is infact a acid
I am sure if we measure vinegar @ 1% it will be alot higher than a 3-4 on the ph scale!

It is infact a weaker acid "maybe" but still an acid!! Some examples of weak acids are acetic acid (found in vinegar), carbonic acid, hydrofluoric acid, and formic acid. evapo-rust although they claim they are not a acid my guess is if you take their straight solution and measured the it would be infact a acid! and not a base! I like how they measure it at 1%
http://www.evapo-rust.com/technical/EvapoRustTDS.doc