This sounds very interesting. I'm curious if you've tried it on parts that were zinc plated. Also what would this do to aluminum, plastic and paint.

I bought some of the Armour Metal Rescue which I believe is the product that girls were selling shorts at Carlisle. I bought mine at Hershey and it was a little colder so the girls weren't wearing shorts. I like this product in certain instances. What is nice is that it won't strip paint or plating that is adhered to the metal well and will not harm plastic aluminum etc. If you have a part that is partially rusty and partially painted this is a good product. I had some NOS alternator pulleys which were mostly painted but the belt groove and a small ring around the center were bare and had rusted over the years. I soaked them in this product and it cleaned the rust and left the paint adhered. I also soaked an alternator stator with rusty laminations and it took the rust off the laminations and didn't affect the magnet wire.

There was also a guy there selling a product of essentially dried beets that you mixed with water. I was not real keen on this stuff as he said it would attack aluminum.

For zinc plated parts that I want to strip I have been using Captain Lee's rust away. This is a Phosphoric acid solution that is not near as harsh as some of the muriatic acid solutions. I think the amount of the metal it takes away is minimal. The major drawback as I see it is that it costs $30.00 per gallon.

Mike Afflerbach