Moparts

Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!!

Posted By: matthewnokc

Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 01:29 AM

I have been perfecting a recipe to remove rust with minimal metal loss using simple household stuff and I finally got it right ! and I thought I would share with all of you!

the best mixture I have made so far is as follows:

1/2 gallon of white vinegar

1/3 cup of salt

1 of those yellow squeeze lemon juice bottles.

which I think are around 6- 8 ounces "realemon" lemon juice

I have tried countless combos over the past year!!

This combo just seems to work the best! and you

can reuse it and reuse it!

All you have to do is soak it for a minimum of 12 hours or longer if the rust is deep.. and it comes off like mud !! I used a generic scotch brite pad to get some of the hard residue off and the parts come out looking like they were sand blasted ! Plus it costs less than 5 dollars a gallon to make!

I attached pics of my results my cell phone is taking fuzzy pics right now and i will try and update with some better pics!

Attached picture 5632981-IMG00035.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 01:36 AM

Here is a pic of the before rusted parts

Attached picture 5632996-IMG00030.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 01:46 AM

and here is how I soaked them the only areas that remain rusted up are the areas I wasn't able to submerge.. these were soaked for 12 hours and scrubbed lightly with a scotchbrite pad !

Attached picture 5633011-IMG00034.jpg
Posted By: tripleblackcuda

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 01:49 AM

Awesome!!!
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 01:55 AM

kool thanks for shareing
Posted By: chargermop

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 02:10 AM

Dam you now I have to go to the store!!!!
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 02:37 AM

That guy at Carlisle with the girls in black short shorts that was across the isle from me who was pushing some rust remover elixir isn't gonna like this free recipe

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 02:54 AM

Quote:

That guy at Carlisle with the girls in black short shorts that was across the isle from me who was pushing some rust remover elixir isn't gonna like this free recipe

LoL well sofar I have only tested this stuff with mopar rust.. His stuff might work on fords and chevys too lol ... You didn't by any chance take a pic of the rust remover babes did yah? ..
Posted By: cudaize

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 03:24 AM

This sounds very interesting. I'm curious if you've tried it on parts that were zinc plated. Also what would this do to aluminum, plastic and paint.

I bought some of the Armour Metal Rescue which I believe is the product that girls were selling shorts at Carlisle. I bought mine at Hershey and it was a little colder so the girls weren't wearing shorts. I like this product in certain instances. What is nice is that it won't strip paint or plating that is adhered to the metal well and will not harm plastic aluminum etc. If you have a part that is partially rusty and partially painted this is a good product. I had some NOS alternator pulleys which were mostly painted but the belt groove and a small ring around the center were bare and had rusted over the years. I soaked them in this product and it cleaned the rust and left the paint adhered. I also soaked an alternator stator with rusty laminations and it took the rust off the laminations and didn't affect the magnet wire.

There was also a guy there selling a product of essentially dried beets that you mixed with water. I was not real keen on this stuff as he said it would attack aluminum.

For zinc plated parts that I want to strip I have been using Captain Lee's rust away. This is a Phosphoric acid solution that is not near as harsh as some of the muriatic acid solutions. I think the amount of the metal it takes away is minimal. The major drawback as I see it is that it costs $30.00 per gallon.

Mike Afflerbach
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 03:53 AM

Salt, Vinegar, lemon bottle? Sounds more like a salad dressing!
Though, how did you figure out how to use salt as a rust remover?
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 04:38 AM

Excellent, thanks for sharing. I love the internets.
Posted By: chrisf

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 05:02 AM

cool!! how do you neutralize the acids after your done?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/29/09 10:47 PM

I was kinda wondering about that myself.

I usually mix up a batch of baking soda and water to neutralize the parts I put in muratic acid.
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/30/09 01:08 AM

Quote:

cool!! how do you neutralize the acids after your done?

Can't you just put it on your salad?
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/30/09 01:33 AM

Very interesting!

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/30/09 01:46 AM

just made a batch. doing a super6 intake i am going to flog. if it doesnt turn out well i will just blast it, by those pics it should come out pretty good.
Posted By: Slim Smitty

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/30/09 05:03 AM

Would a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water neutralize the acids? That's what it takes to neutralize metal after a soda blast.

Or acetone/Eastwood Pre?

I don't think baking soda and water would work if the surface was going to be primed or painted. Baking soda residue won't let the primer stick to the surface. At least that's the case with soda blasting - all the soda must be neutralized.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/30/09 09:42 AM

Quote:

Would a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water neutralize the acids? That's what it takes to neutralize metal after a soda blast.

Or acetone/Eastwood Pre?

I don't think baking soda and water would work if the surface was going to be primed or painted. Baking soda residue won't let the primer stick to the surface. At least that's the case with soda blasting - all the soda must be neutralized.

baking soda is a base, it will neutralize acids

vinegar is an acid, it will neutralize bases.

mix the 2 together and you have the standard, 3rd grade "volcano" science project.

bases can be just as corrosive as acids, such as the caustic soda that gets used in hot tanks to clean parts.

so, baking soda sand blasting that embeds soda into the metal...needs an acid to neutralize and remove for paint.

the rust remover above us using 2 acids and a salt...salts are chemically stable and I'm surprised if it is actually helping remove the rust in this case, but the 2 acids--vinegar and lemon juice, will need to be thoroughly washed away or neutralized prior to painting
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/30/09 02:46 PM

Making some "free" stuff to use in a pinch is not the same as making it for routine regular use. Calculate the cost to make a full gallon and then let's see where you are. There are plenty of good "natural" rust solutions on the market. The one I use is $20/gallon for a concentrate that will yeild 4 gallons when mixed. At that price is it really worth all the farting around? That's time you could have been working on your car or spending with your kids.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/30/09 07:00 PM

Quote:

Those girls were hot!!!!!!! Having them next to me all weekend made the 1500 mile trip worth it.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 11/30/09 07:02 PM

Oh and thanks for the recipe. Going to try it out.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/01/09 12:26 AM

tried it. its ok but my $20,000 soda blaster does a better job.
only thing i can see a use for (for me) would be anything glavanized or anodized. like the filler neck on a A body?
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/01/09 05:43 AM

Quote:

tried it. its ok but my $20,000 soda blaster does a better job.

I sure as hell hope it did!

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/01/09 05:46 AM

Quote:

Making some "free" stuff to use in a pinch is not the same as making it for routine regular use. Calculate the cost to make a full gallon and then let's see where you are. There are plenty of good "natural" rust solutions on the market. The one I use is $20/gallon for a concentrate that will yeild 4 gallons when mixed. At that price is it really worth all the farting around? That's time you could have been working on your car or spending with your kids.

so whats the brand/name of the stuff you use and where did you get it? any before/after pics of it "in action"?

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/01/09 07:35 PM

Wow lots of different opinions and questions to answer! I got the salad dressing idea from a neighbor that restores lamps and antiques.. he uses a similar solution for lightly rusted stuff. His sons a student at our local university and he explained how the 2 acids and sodium react to make this combo work. He also told me they use this solution to clean corrosion off of copper pots , brass fittings and to remove rust. You can make your penny's shiny if you want with this stuff and it will make silver shine like new!.. I just kept making different solutions "some from the internet that claimed they worked" and keeping track of which ones worked the best and was the cheapest to make over a year period. As far as losing family time as one guy insinuated I had my kid help me so I didn't lose and quality family time LOL We even went to the lake and my daughter used our metal detector to find items and we put them in the solution to clean them up .. I tried alot of the recipes I have found on the net and alot of them didn't work at all.. This recipe works the same as the stuff you buy at my local parts store "oriellys" and it even smells the same! .. I have yet to see anything cheaper "delivered" to your door that actually works! Where I am at vinegar is $1.98 a gallon lemon juice is .88 cents and salt is $1.oo for a box.. now as far as neutralizing it .. I wash everything down with a light mixture of dawn soap and water if i am not going to paint it right away I just put some light penetrating oil onit to keep the rust from coming back....Its really not a bother to make this stuff! I mean they sell all the stuff at your local food mart.. I used it on my fender tag and it left the paint intact and only attacked the rust and left the paint where the paint was still fully intact.. I haven't tried it on aluminum or something that is zinc plated.. so I cant answer that question other than I wouldn't put any acid with aluminum! back in high-school we used to make drano bombs out of a 2 liter bottle, aluminum foil and some drano or drain opener..
So I think even this mildly acidic formula would attack the aluminum. and LOL I bet this formula doesn't work as fast or efficiently as a 20k soda blaster but it could greatly reduce the contamination the soda sees before you blast it hence making the soda last longer... As far as salad dressing goes I guess if you thinned it out with some water it might not be half bad! I'll have to get back with you guys on that one. lol I might try it out on the wife's relatives this xmas..
Posted By: car48nut

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/03/09 04:51 PM

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/03/09 07:06 PM

just an overnight soak

Attached picture 5643820-DSC06425.JPG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/03/09 07:08 PM

I mixed up a batch a few minutes ago and put in a shock plate that I had sitting on the shelf. We'll see how it goes...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/03/09 07:16 PM

A similar recipie has been out there for a while, my mother used to use it to polish brass around the house, her recipie (for smaller batches) was 1/2 cup of white vinager to a table spoon of salt, then she mixed in white flour make it into a paste, or she boiled it and dropped smaller items in to cook them clean (boiling worked GREAT on greasey/dirty stuff BTW). I'm not sure if the Lemon juice (citric acid) would add much strength to it or not since vinager is a pretty acidic allready but it couldn't hurt.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/03/09 08:14 PM

Quote:

just an overnight soak

I should add...rinsed throughly with water then a light spray of WD40 (for water dispersal) and excess wiped off after a short soak. Doesnt appear to be flashing over at all.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/03/09 08:21 PM

Nice

And I spent some money on a bead blaster!!!

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/04/09 03:51 PM

Okay, tried it yesterday starting at noon, took it out at 3am and it was still pretty crusty so put it back in and took it out at 9:30 am this morning. 21 hours?

Anyway it was a REALLY rusty and crusty shock plate that I had just laying on the shelf. Here are the results:

Attached picture 5645622-shockplate1.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/04/09 03:53 PM

Backside:

On the areas like the shock mount and washer where the rust wasn't that bad it took it off in the 12 hours.

I'll put it back in and let it soak for another 12 hours or so. Honestly it's pretty impressive as corroded as these things were (pic's don't do it justice).

Attached picture 5645630-shockplate2.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/04/09 03:58 PM

I didn't get before shots but here is the opposite side and they looked much the same:

Attached picture 5645638-shockplate3.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/04/09 03:59 PM

other side:

Attached picture 5645639-shockplate4.jpg
Posted By: cuda-sweden

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/04/09 06:47 PM

squeezed lemons makes wonders on deep rust.i just rinsed with hot water and so far the paint on my trunk lock shield holds the paint(4 months)it was an experiment,but its pretty impressive how good it works.i was making limoncello with home made booze and got some lemons over,so i tried it.the result is totally clean metall,maybe you should rinse in something else to make it last?im happy so far
Posted By: donbarnes

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/04/09 07:07 PM

I've been looking for something like this that leaves an almost-clean finish. For the last several years I've been using Ospho (or Advance Auto's version called "Right-Stuff"), but I don't like the slightly sticky residue that stuff leaves behind, especially if you try to use it on a partially painted or coated surface

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/07/09 03:56 AM

No pics at this point but after leaving the plate in another day or so it came out almost completely free of rust and looking brand new!

I'm impressed!
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/07/09 05:56 AM

Brilliant! I've needed something EXACTLY like this for all kinds of small parts.
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/09/09 04:07 PM

I'm going to try this on some small stuff I have. Thanks for posting it. I wonder how it would work on Window Regulators and door latch mechanisms.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/09/09 07:19 PM

I might try it out myself.

Is a good wash in clean running water enough to neutralize the acids?

Tav

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/09/09 07:59 PM

Here we are after a few days of soak off and on. Seems to work better in a warm environment.

Attached picture 5657264-DSCN2825.JPG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/09/09 08:00 PM

It's a lot better than it looks. The flash makes what little corrosion that is still there overemphasized.

Keep in mind I picked out the rustiest, nastiest thing I had in the garage to test it out!

I've also done a u-bolt and a splash shield (goes right in front of where the K-from bolts on the framerail) and it was amazing how clean both came out!

Attached picture 5657265-DSCN2824.JPG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/09/09 10:10 PM

good point on the warm enviroment!

yeah the colder the temp your trying to use this solution in the slower it reacts.. anything above 70 deg "typical weather where I am at during the spring and fall" works greats . I grew-up in Chicago and I know how cold the winters "fall through spring" get there and how bad the rust can be on parts.. If you have something really pitted up soaking it for 3 days in normal temperatures would really make a dent in the rust you remove.. it eventually will take it all off just depends on how deep it is. If after 24 hours if you still have alot of rust take a scotch brite pad to it so the solution can get at the rust it has been exposed to yet!!. lol I should of waited to post this until march! Its even freezing here now! as i see it it works as good or better than the stuff you can buy at these trade shows or auto parts stores and you can make it for pretty cheap. plus if you sand or soda blast you can really keep from getting alot of excess rust in the media your using and keep the media longer!

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/11/09 03:19 AM

I've been giving it a go on an ashtray for my '68 Dodge Sweptline. So far so good. It has a loooong way to go.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/11/09 03:27 AM

Another thing to consider is that ANY acid based rust remover ALSO removes the metal itself, at the very least you'll end up with an acid etched surface. Consider this if you are trying to preserve any of the original part surface appaearance. If the surface is a concern stick with a product like Evap-O-Rust that destroys rust and leaves all other materials (metal, paint, etc, metal finishes, etc.) 100% intact.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/11/09 03:49 AM

Quote:

Another thing to consider is that ANY acid based rust remover ALSO removes the metal itself, at the very least you'll end up with an acid etched surface. Consider this if you are trying to preserve any of the original part surface appaearance. If the surface is a concern stick with a product like Evap-O-Rust that destroys rust and leaves all other materials (metal, paint, etc, metal finishes, etc.) 100% intact.

Yet another opinion! I suppose you could look at it from the aspect of most likely if the item is rusted up the finish is going to have to be redone anyways! I have actually have tried the solution on painted items and it did leave the paint intact and glossy!

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/11/09 03:55 AM

Quote:

I have actually have tried the solution on painted items and it did leave the paint intact and glossy!

Obviously for some heavily corroded or rust covered parts the surface won't matter and the acid approach is a valid choice, but my comments on more delicate surfaces are not simply "Another Opinion" it's verifiable fact.

Acids are corrosive to most metals and many other materials, not just rust. You may have had an example of one paint that was not affected, but you can't say that accross the board it won't harm paint.

Products like Evap-O-Rust do not harm ANYTHING but the rust itself.

.....And no, I don't work for Evap-O-Rust

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/11/09 06:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have actually have tried the solution on painted items and it did leave the paint intact and glossy!

Obviously for some heavily corroded or rust covered parts the surface won't matter and the acid approach is a valid choice, but my comments on more delicate surfaces are not simply "Another Opinion" it's verifiable fact.

Acids are corrosive to most metals and many other materials, not just rust. You may have had an example of one paint that was not affected, but you can't say that accross the board it won't harm paint.

Products like Evap-O-Rust do not harm ANYTHING but the rust itself.

.....And no, I don't work for Evap-O-Rust

Actually your mistaking on this! the ph value of evaporust is 6 they claim 6-7.1 @ 1%
anything below a 7 is infact a acid
I am sure if we measure vinegar @ 1% it will be alot higher than a 3-4 on the ph scale!

It is infact a weaker acid "maybe" but still an acid!! Some examples of weak acids are acetic acid (found in vinegar), carbonic acid, hydrofluoric acid, and formic acid. evapo-rust although they claim they are not a acid my guess is if you take their straight solution and measured the it would be infact a acid! and not a base! I like how they measure it at 1%
http://www.evapo-rust.com/technical/EvapoRustTDS.doc

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/11/09 06:25 PM

Quote:

evapo-rust although they claim they are not a acid

Well based on thier claim, yes I am right. But who cares anyway, acid/base, whatever. Right, Wrong, etc. What matters is that it works and doesn't harm delicate surfaces or finishes like the vinigar/citrus/salt blend can. I've tried Evap-O-Rust on a TON of small delicate items, I have never had an issue on any of them, not something I can say about the V/C/S mix, it's FAR more aggressive.
Posted By: 340ShakerR/T

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/11/09 06:26 PM

Nothing to do with my Mopar, but has anyone tried this in a rusted motorcycle fuel tank?

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/11/09 06:35 PM

I've tried it with Evap-O-Rust on my Honda 90, worked fantastic! Simply add the empty tank, leave it overnight with the cap on, pour it out the next day (it's re-usable, save it). After it's drained you can rinse it out with solvent and seal it with gas tank sealer, or if it's solid with no leaks just add gas and go.

By the way, from thier website:

Why Use Evapo-Rust ™� Removes rust quickly without scrubbing.
� One gallon de-rusts up to 300 lbs of heavily rusted steel.
� Removes even heavy rust .. COMPLETELY.
� No fumes or bad odors.
� Non-toxic. Safe on skin. Non-corrosive.
� Non-flammable. No VOC's.
� Easy to use, immerse part in solution. Water soluable.
� Requires No Special Equipment.
� Contains no acids, bases, solvents or other toxic ingredients.
� Can be disposed of safely into sewer.
� Will not attack un-rusted steel.
� Safe on other metals.
Posted By: 340ShakerR/T

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/11/09 06:38 PM

Thanks for the advise, now I have a weekend project.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/12/09 02:38 PM

I've used Evaporust with great success. I believe a product called CLR, which can be bought at any hardware store, will do the same thing. Of course, it is more expensive than vinegar solution.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/12/09 02:54 PM

If I remember right,...

evaporust works with enzymes that eat the rust, which is a different process from acids.

Acids eat at the entire surface of the part, dissolving the softer porous rust faster than it dissolves the good hard metal, but still affecting the entire surface.

Rust converters usually change iron oxide (rust) to iron phosphate.

Rust encapsulators only cover up the rust. The idea is to prevent things from contacting the metal so that the rust doesn't get worse.

Each works in it's own way and his advantages/disadvantages. If I had to pick a favorite, I think it would be evaporust, but there are also a lot of parts where the cheap easy acid solution would be a viable alternative.

Tav

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/12/09 04:43 PM

Quote:

Each works in it's own way and his advantages/disadvantages. If I had to pick a favorite, I think it would be evaporust, but there are also a lot of parts where the cheap easy acid solution would be a viable alternative.

Tav

BTW, for those who want to see just what the difference is between Evap-O-Rust and the Home brewed V/C/S mix concerning the acids effect on good metal (and not just the rust), put a small sample of each fluid in a jar. Add a few pennies to each, and toss in another item made of clean raw steel, results will vary with the proximity of the steel parts & the pennies, the effect will be more dramtic if they are touching. Let it sit overnight and have a close look at the pennies and steel parts, post your results here.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/12/09 06:52 PM

I think it is working great.

This isn't a direct back to back but the part on top was in nearly the same condition as the part on the bottom. These are parts of an ashtray out of a '68 Dodge Sweptline pickup. I've got the rest of the ashtray in the solution now and it is working great. It is removing the paint from the ashtray and that is perfectly fine with me because I was planning on doing that anyway.

Posted By: bbodybill

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/24/09 09:29 PM

Hi, Iam trying your "Recipe" on a set of Rallye Wheels... Is there any type of "Rinse" to be done-after the soak/before paint??? Thanks Bill
Posted By: larry890

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/25/09 12:52 AM

I seen where they put 2 copper rods into a solution and conneted the rods to a 12v battery chargers pos. neg. leads. Then added the parts, but im not sure what the solution was.
Posted By: roy2345

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/25/09 01:39 AM

Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/25/09 02:36 PM

Great little Home Brew - thanks for posting this

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/25/09 03:31 PM

main ingredient was borax washing soda wasnt it?

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/25/09 05:28 PM

By now I've mixed up a few gallons of this stuff. I sat these headers in it for a few days and they cleaned up rather nicely. I wasn't able to keep all of the headers in the solution all of the time but it worked well. A little final clean up and paint and these will be back to new.

I've also been working on a turbo housing. Those things are very rusty and the one I'm working on is about 25 years old. It is taking a little bit of work but I like it better than trying to sand blast it and then hope the sand gets all cleaned out and you don't toast a bearing.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/27/09 11:08 PM

http://www.massmopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1135525788

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/29/09 05:33 PM

Quote:

http://www.massmopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1135525788

I have tried molasses to de-rust parts also.. and it works! But it really makes a sticky stinky mess.. Plus I really had a hard time finding it in my area. But I do think that would be that absolute cheapest way to make some solution and get a decent result..

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 12/29/09 05:46 PM

The molasses dip does work, and quite well. It does take plenty of time to do the job, and it does stink, but there's probably not a safer cheap way to de-rust big parts like engine blocks, heads, etc.

I had a big plastic horse trough filled with it, got the molasses for free (stole it from my mom, she has horses ), it works better when warm so I wrapped it with pig blankets (like a heavy duty water proof electric blanket also available at the farm supply store) and kept it warm that way in colder months (worked VERY well and not a huge draw on the power bill) but to do big nasty stuff that needs to soak for a month it's best to hold off til the summer heat arrives. Be sure to keep it covered tightly to retain heat and stave off evaporation.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/02/10 09:19 PM

can you post pic of the lemon juice bottle? are you talking about concentrate? or id like to mix up enuff for a 5 gallon bucket to have around
what about parts that cant be submerged? wonder if you could use like a gravity filter off a aquarium and a tray under the part so it runs over the part collects at the bottom then pumped back to the top

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/02/10 09:52 PM

Quote:

can you post pic of the lemon juice bottle?

Seriously? Youv'e never seen these in the store? Some are shaped like a lemon, some aren't, all the same stuff.

Attached picture 5706355-LemonLime.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/02/10 10:47 PM

I use these....seem to grow on trees around here

Attached picture 5706515-DSC05099.JPG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/02/10 11:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

can you post pic of the lemon juice bottle?

Seriously? Youv'e never seen these in the store? Some are shaped like a lemon, some aren't, all the same stuff.

lolol i can honestly say iv never seen them before

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/02/10 11:11 PM

Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/05/10 01:51 AM

I got a chance to try it out this weekend and it worked great, although I let it soak for 48 hours just to be sure. It didn’t damage the paint or the seam sealer. I still need to treat the inside with metal prep to protect the bare metal.

If you get a chance you should try it.

Before...

After....

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/05/10 02:01 AM

If you are using it (or any other kind of acid) to remove rust in an enclosed area like that deck lid be DARN sure you neutralize it! That acid will stay active and will allow rust to return with a vengance if left active, and a plain old water rinse won't do the trick no matter how much you flush it.
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/05/10 03:53 AM

That's correct Scott.

I used a Baking Soda rinse, and I am planning on treating the whole inside with Pixle 20 Rust and metal prep.
Posted By: Troy

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/10/10 02:52 AM

Well I had to give it a try and OMG did it work well. 24 hours later and this is what I had.

But do yourself a BIG favor. Don't use an aluminum pan to soak your parts in. In 36 hours you will have a pan with many holes in it and a big mess......don't ask me how I know.

Attached picture 5724246-Chrome011.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/10/10 02:52 AM

Attached picture 5724248-Chrome012.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/10/10 02:57 AM

...does not do very much to painted parts however. But this could be a good thing. Somebody needs to soak a part that has many inspection marks on it to see how that comes out. In theory it should remove the rust and keep the inspection marks behind. Anybody have a 8 3/4 third member that they could try this on???

Attached picture 5724264-Chrome016.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/10/10 03:12 AM

The paint will come off it just takes a little longer.

I did a license plate bracket from a '63 330 and it's taken about 3 weeks but the black paint is almost all gone. Seems to come off in sheets/bubble off.

Paint usually stays intact on parts that you don't dip for very long.

I've put lots of parts in my "brew" in the past few weeks and they all come out looking like new!

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/10/10 03:41 AM

Troy,

You are seeing the results of what acid does to nearly any metal, that's why they sell it in plastic jugs

It's also why I caution users against using the home brew on delicate or plated items as it will remove the rust first, but the good metal is next, it's just slower acting on good metal. The products I've mentioned before such as Evaporust will give the same rust removing results (yes it costs more than vinigar & lemon juice) without doing ANY harm to the good metal below it, so choose your rust removal products wisely.

*Ever cover your leftover spaghetti with aluminum foil? If the foil is toucing the foil you'l find holes in it the next day!
Posted By: Tommy The Chryco

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/10/10 04:05 AM

so How do you neutralize it? anyone?? thanks in advance

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/10/10 04:24 AM

I've washed things with hot soapy water with good results. I've also used just water then wiped things down with acetone then painted with good results as well.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/10/10 04:29 AM

Baking soda will neutralize acid, but you need to use enough of it to do a complete job. Mix it into a super saturated soloution (keep pouring powder and mixing in to water until the powder no longer disolves and piles up on the bottom) then rinse it several times, a soak for 15-30 minutes is even better. Once it's clean and dry again it will start to rust IMMEDIATELY so you'll need to treat it appropriately. I final treat all bare metal with Ospho before other coatings get used, it leaves a phosphate coating after a brief water rinse that will prevent flash rust for a few days while you prepare the parts for paint or whatever.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/10/10 05:13 AM

The solution to pollution is dilution (read: hot soapy water and elbow grease go a long way). The headers I showed a picture of way back on 12/25 are still sitting just like they were in the box with no more rust on them now than then. I left for 3 weeks and didn't get to them. I used cold water and an acetone wipe down. But if you don't get the stuff cleaned off, it'll rust like crazy.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/12/10 08:43 PM

My recipe as far as acids go is a fairly mild acid bath.. Metal prep would be the same as if you were using evaporust which also has a low enough ph to be considered a acid and produce the hydrogen smell you smell on the metal parts when you remove it from both solutions.. The ph in normal tap water is actually high enough in my area to neutralize the acid on its own but adding baking soda will raise the ph and neutralize the acid . A bucket of soapy water "I like to use a little dawn dish water soap" and add some baking soda in.. 1 cup in a 5 gallon bucket will spike the ph out! .. no need to go overboard! Solutions with a pH less than 7 are said to be acidic! both my home-brew mixture and evaporust fall into the acidic category "even though evaporust claims to not use acids their material data sheets claim otherwise" Both products work great! Both require prep after a bath & before painting! I would treat them both the same and use evaporust if your working on old wristwatch mechanical internals/delicate stuff. My mix will work just fine for our mopars!!! & save you some cash!!!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/11/10 02:50 PM

bringing this back up ...

Anyone that dipped any bolts for an extended period notice the the threads getting eaten away ? I haven't used this particular mix, just white vinegar itself, on a set of lower control arms and left them in for over a week, the threads on the exposed part of the t bar adjustments were eaten to the point of the bolts being junk.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/11/10 06:10 PM

Quote:

bringing this back up ...

Anyone that dipped any bolts for an extended period notice the the threads getting eaten away ? I haven't used this particular mix, just white vinegar itself, on a set of lower control arms and left them in for over a week, the threads on the exposed part of the t bar adjustments were eaten to the point of the bolts being junk.

How bad were they to begin with? If the corrosion is really deep all you're removing is the oxidized metal and the damage was done well before it was put in the bath.

With different materials and levels of corrosion, it's best to check at least a once a day on the progress.

I know the galvanized headlight buckets tend to lose their "sheen" within a few hours and don't require near the time to de-rust and clean while I had shock plates in the solution for 2+ weeks.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/13/10 03:13 PM

The bolts weren't very rusty , if at all , I have a senior moment and didn't think to remove them before dipping, I'm going to run them thru one more time to get the surface rust that has happened since I did these a couple years ago before I prime with etching primer and then paint them.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/14/10 05:58 AM

I have left assorted pieces in the mix (not just vinegar) for over 2 weeks and not noticed anything but the rust being removed.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/17/10 09:43 AM

what does the vineagar do to other parts such as brass, alum. copper??
if one of them metals were mated to steel that you was de-rusting?
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/17/10 01:52 PM

That's pretty good. I'll have to try this myself.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/17/10 02:54 PM

i have the perfect thread test
rusty adjusters on 4spd shift rods
and a silver chain for the heck of it.
the adjusters are frozen solid and will not move.
i just dropped them in the solution
and i will post my results tomarrow night

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/17/10 11:53 PM

Quote:

and a silver chain for the heck of it.

I thought there were only gold chains in Jersey

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/18/10 12:12 AM

no guido/piney here!!!
at least i think its silver?
i even tossed in a crusty fender tag also to try out
after 9 hrs
the adjusters are still frozen solid on the threads..
the rods do have nasty residue on them
but look like they are cleaning up
the fender tag is looking better
i guess i will let it soak for another day
and see if the adjusters will free up

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/18/10 12:18 AM

iv been messing with some over last week or 2 even thou you got it soaking take a small brass brush pull the part out and lightly brush it you will see a film come right off
may be a couple spots size of a corn flake that may need some extra soaking
iv learned you have to have the whole part submerged as i had a tail shaft housing off a 4 speed and had enuff to cover half way up (laying down) well you cant roll it over and do the other side but the side that was in worked very good as this thing looked like its been outside in the weather for years lol

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/18/10 05:56 AM

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/18/10 11:28 PM

here are my findings
the shift rods cleaned up like new
but the adjusters are still frozen
i'm soaking them in pb blaster now

the fender tag came out nice and clean but
it now has some holes in it that it didn't have before
i threw in a tag i didn't care about
but i don't think i'm throwing
any tag i care about any time soon
overall some pretty good results,
but i would be real careful
about what i would put into this solution
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 07/20/10 05:23 AM

Quote:

Baking soda will neutralize acid, but you need to use enough of it to do a complete job. Mix it into a super saturated soloution (keep pouring powder and mixing in to water until the powder no longer disolves and piles up on the bottom)

Not to be a D!cK, but super saturation refers to elevated saturation levels due to conditions other than normal, for example: increased pressure or temperature. What you are referring to is merely a saturated condition.

Ok, yeah I'm a nerd. Carry on...

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/05/10 01:52 PM

Evaporust , I found some last night but it was just a small bottle , is this a concentrate , it didn't say anything on the bottle so this is probably a stupid question. If it's not I'd have to spend $100 to get enough to put anything like a valve cover in it

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/05/10 02:44 PM

Quote:

Not to be a D!cK, but super saturation refers to elevated saturation levels due to conditions other than normal, for example: increased pressure or temperature. What you are referring to is merely a saturated condition.

Ok, yeah I'm a nerd. Carry on...

My 9th grade science teacher, Mr. David Bowman, tought me wrong then.....I digress.....

Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/12/10 07:42 PM

simple soap and water doesnt nuetralize it, at least the water i have in central NJ. i put something in for minutes decided to test on something else rinsed it off and within hours it was covered in heavier rust than befor ei put the part in.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/18/10 08:56 PM

i mixed up 5 gallons. i put in a really nasty rusty 383-4 intake that sat outside for a really long time. it came out awsome, but i didnt want to remove it until i figured out what would work to nuetralize it. it sat in the tote a few days i put some brackets in it yesterday and the stuff is dead. didnt touch the rust on the brackets. so yeah its cheap to make but, 20 bucks to derust and intake manifold, im not sure if its really worth it. evaporust seems to last longer.
Posted By: BBCoronet

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/18/10 11:09 PM

Soooo, Has anyone tried this stuff out on something that has an aluminum component attached?? I have some carb bases that are a little crusty and was wondering if they could be dipped to clean up the rusted parts.... Anyone have an idea
Posted By: varunner

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/28/10 09:10 PM

Here's a box I've made for trying this on a rear valance. I'll post again when it's done. I also thru in some c-clamps to take up space. I put in 9 gallons of the "juice"

Attached picture 6164008-PICT0699.JPG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/28/10 09:11 PM

lined with 2 layers of plastic

Attached picture 6164011-PICT0700.JPG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/28/10 09:11 PM

ready to fill up

Attached picture 6164012-PICT0701.JPG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/28/10 10:05 PM

Looks good but your going to want to remove the paint off the valance before you dunk it...it wont remove paint.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/28/10 10:19 PM

Just trying to remove some light rust.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/29/10 06:04 PM

Quote:

Looks good but your going to want to remove the paint off the valance before you dunk it...it wont remove paint.

If you leave it in there long enough it will ...
Posted By: Neil

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/29/10 06:24 PM

Quote:

Evaporust , I found some last night but it was just a small bottle , is this a concentrate , it didn't say anything on the bottle so this is probably a stupid question. If it's not I'd have to spend $100 to get enough to put anything like a valve cover in it

I used it to clean up my spindles and instead of pouring a ton of evaporust into a big container I put them in a big zip lock bag one at a time and filled the excess space with small river rocks. This allowed me to use alot less of the evaporust and still get the whole spindle submerged.

For a valve cover I would settle for cleaning it one side at a time rather than using a lot of fluid to do it all at once. I'd make a rectangular frame out of scrap wood just big enough to hold the object and then set a trash bag in it filled with 1/4" or so of evaporust and then just rotate the valve cover over every few hours.

You can clean sheetmetal with this stuff by making a dam out of clay and then pour the evaporust inside. When you done you can remove it with a suction bulb.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/29/10 06:49 PM

Framing square and clamps turned out pretty good. Rear valance needed to be flipped over, it'll come out tomorrow.

Attached picture 6165273-PICT0702.JPG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 08/29/10 06:50 PM

Attached picture 6165278-PICT0703.JPG
Posted By: bulletpruf

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/06/11 02:42 AM

I'm on my second batch. Works quite well for me. I put parts in when I get home in the evening and then pull them out the next evening after work. Garage is cold this time of year, and I don't have time after work to get the sandblaster going, so this way I'm able to a little bit during the week.

Scott
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/06/11 02:29 PM

Quote:

ready to fill up...

I would have just gone to Toys R Us and be done with it.
Posted By: generallee6901

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/06/11 10:01 PM

I have also used this with great results.I mixed one gallon first to try than mixed 5 gallons and as i took parts out that were ready i added more parts to see how long it would last.I ended up using that 5 gallons for three weeks and cleaned a lot of parts.I put it in a plastic tote with a lid.Was nice and warm out then.Have not tryed it in the cold.
Posted By: edl

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/07/11 06:33 PM

Quote:

Framing square and clamps turned out pretty good. Rear valance needed to be flipped over, it'll come out tomorrow.

Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/10/11 02:59 AM

Glad to find this thread is still active and it's great to see what you all are doing with it. I was reminded of it just recently:

My 7-year-old found this same mixture in a paperback science book for kids showing them how to turn tarnished pennies all shiny.

It explains that the acetic acid in vinegar changes into hydrochloric acid when it mixes with the salt. Same as stomach acid. No mention of the lemon juice.

He drops a penny in and 10 seconds later it's shiny. I will use it on a bunch of nuts, bolts, brackets.

If it hasn't been discussed yet, one way to neutralize the acid is to rinse the parts in a mix of baking soda and water.
-Art
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/11/11 12:59 AM

couple of questions, jamesdart said his batch lost its strength after three days,anybody else had this problem? would putting in a sealed container help? i know my 22 dollar a gallon of evapo-rust did, reused three times.good for bolts, anything larger would cost a fortune. would heating up the mixture help(floating tank heater)we use one for the horse tank. as far as the cost, use the good stuff for delicate parts, the vinegar for the other, a no-brainer.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/11/11 03:00 AM

The valance cleaned up nicely, but had too much bondo, so I tossed it. As you can imagine, the longer this stuff sits around, the weaker it gets. I have a 5 gallon bucket of it that has been sitting for several months now. I put a few tools in it recently, for 2 weeks, they came out fine. If you're in a hurry, then it plan on it working for just a few times.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 01/11/11 06:29 PM

I used the mix and it finally lost much of it's strength after a month or so of it sitting open in my garage .
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/07/12 03:49 AM

Neato!
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/07/12 08:49 AM

I've used straight vinegar a lot, and it works very well - see photo. Haven't tried adding lemon juice and salt yet. Vinegar immersion in half day increments is about right. If it's not good enough yet, give it another half day, and check again. Afterwards, a simple rinse in hot water with dish soap, followed by thorough hand wire brushing prevents flash rusting. That photo was taken January, 2011, and 15 months later, those parts still look exactly the same, awaiting phosphating.

I've also been experimenting with Evaporust, which is a heck of a lot more expensive than vinegar. It works a lot faster than vinegar - inspection every 1-2 hours is about right. Evaporust can't seem to quite get the job done right without some help - usually some elbow grease with sandpaper or wire brush is needed, which is okay with me. I think it is always best keep the exposure to the chemical solution (whatever it is) to the absolute minimum needed, not any more. Periodic removal from the Evaporust or vinegar and inspection to find stubborn places that need some minor physical rust removal with sandpaper, wire brush, or light scraping with a file will shorten the immersion time a lot.

If using a costly rust remover like Evaporust, it's best to remove all loose and easily removeable rust by hand before immersion. That way, you aren't wasting and depleting the strength of the chemical needlessly.

Attached picture 7154678-fastenersvinegarpickle&wirebrush.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/13/12 04:32 AM

I went to buy some white vinegar and all i could find was a watered down mixture to 5% acid (said on the label).Is this what everybody is using? Be nice to find full strength somewhere then dilute to what would work. It was 2.98 gal. walmart.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/13/12 02:16 PM

How much do you think it would cost to fill a swimming pool so I can dip my car into it
Posted By: 70plymA34

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/13/12 03:41 PM

from my experience with different products, EVAPO RUST is the stuff to use. for a 5 gallon pail its about $99-115 depending where you buy it. a definite pro of this product is that its safe for the environment as well and can be disposed of easily. works on all metals and does not affect paint either. once parts are submersed in the solution just check up on it every 1-2 hours or if its badly rusty, let it sit for a few days. It has not damaged one part yet.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/14/12 03:36 AM

Quote:

I went to buy some white vinegar and all i could find was a watered down mixture to 5% acid (said on the label).Is this what everybody is using? Be nice to find full strength somewhere then dilute to what would work. It was 2.98 gal. walmart.

That's what I've been using. Just the store bought dilute acetic acid, $2.08/gal at Kroger's last night.

I just had a brake backing plate in EvapoRust for maybe four or five 2-hr sessions, and it looked like it still had a long way to go. So last night I decided to park it in vinegar over night to see what would happen. The EvapoRust is so much stronger than vinegar, I wasn't expecting much. This morning it was 99% finished! What I like about the vinegar is it changes the rust to either a sludge you can scrape off, or, in this case, the remaining rust was like small scabs that were easily flicked off - no need to make the chemical dissolve every last bit - better to knock the rust off, if it's ready to come off.

This afternoon decided to stick it back in the EvapoRust for the concluding clean up. After a hot soapy water rinse with brush, of course it flash rusted - see photo. But there is a solution for that. I'll take another photo of what to do about the flash rust and post it tomorrow.

Attached picture 7164117-P1020293small.jpg

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/14/12 07:53 PM

Here's the after photo. To get rid of the flash rust, I coated the backing plate with Rust Cure (www.rust-cure.com) using a cheap nylon bristle brush and thoroughly wiped the Rust Cure off immediately. Another application and wiping off may be needed. If you don't wipe it off, there is a residue that can be removed with re-application of Rust Cure and wiping.

Rust Cure is a phosphoric acid-based rust remover, similar to other phosphoric based solutions but stronger. For most rust removal, I am using EvapoRust or vinegar, but Rust Cure is very good to fix flash rusting until you can finish restoring the part.

My backing plates were all originally phosphated, so that's the way they will be restored. When it comes time to phosphate, I will wash off the Rust Cure, do a final pickle in vinegar, and immerse in the phosphating solution.

For parts that need to be painted, apply paint on top of the Rust Cure - do not remove it. Allow one week Rust Cure drying time before painting.

For parts that were originally bare metal, the medium gray appearance left by Rust Cure may be too dark. You can remove the Rust Cure with a hot wash, then hand wire brush for a few minutes to get more metal shine. Then immediately coat with wax, RPM, or similar. To get the right balance of gray vs. shine, you can experiment. Generally bare parts of flat, thin metal were cut from cold rolled steel that was shiny, while thick parts were cut from hot rolled/pickled & oiled steel that was gray and less shiny. The Rust-Cure gray should be about the right color for rear spring brackets and the spring plates with shock absorber mounts.

For bare metal parts that were forged or heat treated, such as suspension parts, there have been several posts here about using gun bluing followed by RPM. You can remove the Rust Cure by washing, then hand wire brush, then apply bluing and RPM. I haven't done this yet - it may work to put the bluing on top of the Rust Cure.

Attached picture 7164686-backingplateafter.JPG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/14/12 11:54 PM

Quote:

from my experience with different products, EVAPO RUST is the stuff to use. for a 5 gallon pail its about $99-115 depending where you buy it.

the best price i found was at my local harbor frieght
with the 20% off coupon it comes out to 18 bucks and change a gallon.
i wish i could find it local in 5 gallon pails.
the shipping is what makes it expensive.

to control flash rust
when i take the part out of the evaporust, i just rinse with water, then i take a hair drier and dry the part as fast as i can.
thats the whole key
if you let the water sit on the part and dry on its own
then it will flash most of the time.
i never have had any flash rust ever doing it that way
if i'm not going to prime the part right away and its small, i put it right away when its totally dry in a ziplock bag to keep the air off it..
some stuff i have had sitting away for months before i primed it and
i have had zero flash rust problems yet doing it that way..
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/15/12 12:11 AM

http://www.rustremover.net/

I buy 5 gallon pails of Evaporust from these guys.
Shipping is reasonable, by the UPS people.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/15/12 12:57 AM

Quote:

at the rate i'm going
i should just bite the bullet and buy the 30 gallon concentrate its first time i saw that..
checking the prices
the concentrate would be the only thing to work out cheaper for me

a couple of the stupid ideas i had with the stuff
were spinning the car upside down on the rotisserie and filling up the roof with it and
then toss a bunch of parts in also as well.
my other idea was to cut some 2" pvc pipe in half long ways,cap the ends and now you have a trough for
a swelling or crusty deck lid seam and door seams
it might get in there better then blasting
the part ever would...
Posted By: 1ol74charger4me

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/15/12 04:20 AM

It's amazing how these things snowball. I bought the evaporust to do some small parts and didn't expect much. I've always been a blast it with something kind of guy. I was amazed at what it did. So typical 40+ year old kid I got the rustiest pieces I could find to see just what it would do. Still amazed. I cleaned up a set of shoulda been throwed away rear sway bar supports and even found some inspection marks along the way that I didn't expect to find. I'm not easily sold on new products but it works and doesn't try to destroy what lungs I have left or eat my skin off. 2 good extras! I've been just cleaning the parts with hand cleaner and Dawn with water and then shooting on some WD40 till I can do something with it. Here comes the snowball. I've done about every trick known to man for natural metal parts. So here I am with a pile of parts that need something. So I order the RPM. I'm sceptical at first but now I love it. The process takes a little time to get on to, but the alternatives are twice as much work. I'm trying the homemade stuff on a rear center as soon as I get it clean. I need 3+ gallons to soak it in a 5 gallon bucket and evaporust is just to pricey for that. I posted some pics of the stuff I've done so far. Question, has anybody soaked a carb in it like the bottle shows on the evaporust?

Attached picture 7165184-ebayandcamaro001.JPG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/15/12 02:39 PM

Quote:

Some of you guys have too much money...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/15/12 07:14 PM

Quote:

Some of you guys have too much money...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

Have you tried this process with any car parts?
Posted By: BTTG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/16/12 04:54 PM

on small stuff i have had good luck dealing with flash rust by lightly steel wooling the part after dipping the wool in SEM Rust-Mort. rust comes right off....and doesn't reflash.
Posted By: BTTG

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 04/16/12 04:57 PM

my local autozone stocks gallons of evaporust for $19.
Posted By: Russ H.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 02/06/14 07:01 PM

Just curious, I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but would running newly cleaned parts through a dish washer remove and neutralize the acids?
Posted By: RV2

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 03/05/14 12:25 AM

Btt
Posted By: 63CandyMatic

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 03/13/16 06:13 AM

I again tried the lemon, vinegar, salt combo on some old wrenches and it worked very well. I had a bunch of very old year wrenches of all makes and styles up to 2" being 20" long and the soak worked very well. Some of them are really weird, and super old, and they really cleaned up nicely.

I'm going to try this solution in my heated ultrasonic to see what it does on really bad stuff. Easier than bead blasting, and cheaper than anything else.

Good tip, that's why I'm bumping it again, thanks OP.

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 03/13/16 06:04 PM

It does work good. Recently tried the battery charger water solution and it's amazing how good that works, very simple and better for cast iron I'm told.
Posted By: 63CandyMatic

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 03/15/16 05:10 AM

what's the battery charger water solution?

Re: Rust removal recipe ! works great! cheap to make!! - 03/15/16 06:09 AM

Google "Electrolic Rust Removal"
© 2024 Moparts Forums