I'm trying really hard to avoid getting into the guts of my carb with my limited experience.
I did take one of the humpback plates off carefully (you'd think I was defusing an landmine)
and familiarized myself with the step-up piston, step-up spring and the metering rod. Now I see what you are referring to.
I will search the internet for a vendor for the rods you recommend,Robert and also the phenolic spacer Scott recommended.
In my frustration last evening, I was looking at the Edelbrock site and considered taking this carb off and replacing it. Then study the one I have. I still have no idea where the jets are (lol)

If I can find the rods and it solves the issue...that was certainly be more cost effective

The '70 Z-28 guy up the street said to toss the Carter and get a Holley. "A real man's carburator".
I told him once this issue is squared away, my Moparts partners and I are going to take this little Dart to track and blow the doors off his little Holley fed, white striped, orange car.

Mike

EDELBROCK PERFORMER SERIES 600 CFM, ELECTRIC CHOKE CARBURETORS
CALIBRATED FOR FUEL ECONOMY
Designed for small-block and small displacement big-block engines, these carbs are recommended only for stock to Performer level applications. They are not recommended for use on RPM or Torker II intake manifolds. Match with an Edelbrock Performer or Performer EPS manifold and other brands of similar design. Calibrated 2% leaner than #1405. Includes both timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance. Comes with: Metering Jets - Primary .098, Secondary .095; Metering Rods - .075 x .047; Step-Up Spring - yellow (4" Hg). Use our Carb Stud Kits #8008 or #8024 if needed, see Installation Items. For auto trans throttle lever adapters and more, see Tuning Accessories.