Thanks guys. I printed your info off and am trying to correlate it to the Edelbrock manual pictures and descripitions. Would it be likely that the manual I have (for the Performer and Thunder Series)is similar to the carb I have.
I am weak in this area and don't want to rip open my carb without at least a vague understanding of what I'm ripping into.

Patrick:
1) The screws you mention I assume are the brass ones and they are humped. looks like a teardrop...sort of.
2) I will try the vacuum hose disconnect and see what happens
3) I just have a regular gasket under the carb.

Dave:
1)I will turn the screws a turn more clockwise (richer)
2) I think you and I are reading the same thing on the site.

440sat72:
1) The surge happens when I try to hold a steady petal, in any gear, at any rpm. If I mash the throttle, it takes off like a bandit and it idles fine too.
2) I replaced the fuel pump during the rebuild with a stock unit. replaced all of the fuel lines with stock replacement metal lines including the "correct" filter from Year One.
3) I timed the motor as if it had a stock cam in it. I will try timing it to 15 degrees and see what happens. the motor is has 10:1 pistons

Mark:
1) I need to study my diagrams and find out where exacly the jets are and how to get them out. I have no experience with internal carb components yet...other than pictures. Once I find them...will the jets have numbers on them? I don't have a micrometer...but looks like I will soon.

Robert:
Good to hear from you. I sent you an email about this yesterday, but it bounced back.

Paul:
I believe the needle is located under the hump cap that Patrick mentioned earlier. correct?

What about the floats. Could they be a factor?

You guys are the best.

Mike