Obviously you shouldn't have to have the A/F screws out that far to make a difference. But at least you have found an improvement!

Carter AVS strip kits (metering rods, jets and springs) are scare and costly if you can find them at all.

It may be time to consider modifying your Carter AVS to Edelbrock AVS specs. The Edelbrock AVS uses Carter AFB style metering rods and jets, which are still available as an Edelbrock AVS strip kit. Edelbrock has their carb manuals all online in PDF format, complete with tuning graphs.

To change to the Eddy AVS style, you'll need to get (or fabricate) flat Carter AFB style metering rod covers instead of the "humped" Carter AVS metering rod covers you have now. Then buy a Edelbrock AVS strip kit, and swap your Carter AVS metering rods and jets for the Edelbrock AVS equivalents. This is not nearly as hard as it sounds. The AVS is a very user friendly carb, well suited for beginners. You can do it!

BTW, while you have the carb off, you would be wise to install a 1/2" phenolic 4 hole spacer between the carb and the intake. The AVS carbs are well known for boiling all the fuel out of the bowl on hot days when you shut the motor down... the 1/2" spacer will cure the dreaded hot start problems...

Last edited by GO_Fish; 05/23/09 11:17 PM.

Scott B. "I'm a self-made man... I started with nothing, and I still have most of it!" 68 360 rusty B'cuda 'vert (GO Fish)13.59@ 98.72 mph 69 340 GTS stock 14.18@ 95.60 mph 01 5.9L Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 01 3.5L 300M 16.23@ 86.97 mph