Originally Posted by Tom_440
Originally Posted by AndyF
I drove a 2014 Leaf for 5 years with no noticeable reduction in battery capability. Dealers were asking more for that car when I sold it than when I bought it. First time I've had a daily driver appreciate in value as I drove it. I traded it in recently for a 2020 Leaf. The 2020 has twice the range and significantly more power as well as a ton of extra features.

You got the good Leaf! I have a 2011 Leaf I bought used about 4 years ago for $3,500. Drove it a lot but down to 8 bars and driving to work and back on a single charge is iffy (Just 32 miles). Useless. With no thermal management that 24KW battery is a dog in the desert. The prior owner replaced the battery in 2017 and its due again. Dealer said they "might" warranty (or not), but also said a new battery in today's market is $15K. No thank-you.

I know the new batteries w/thermal management are much better but.....that thing gets a new batt every 5-6 years. What happens to the old ones? A new one is 15k so it's 5x what you paid for the car? The car ends up in the bone yard cause nobody is going to spend the money to put a battery in it. How is ANY of that scenario good for the planet??

Much like the LEDs I had put in my kitchen. 1 took a dump in a couple years. No replacement parts available, the fixture was discontinued. So instead od throwing away 1 incadescent bulb I had to replace 2 complete fixtures.....the old ones went in the landfill!! Saving the planet!!!