Originally Posted by HotRodDave
The TBI V6 and 318 actually got decent MPG with minor tweaks (a few extra degrees advance from factory setting goes a long ways) some of the best I ever got in some of those size trucks but power is pretty weak and the 2.94 gear will make it a real dog without doing something to increase TQ (a point or two of compression helps if your into tearing down the motor while it's out).

Yeah, it's the TBI six. Supposed to be more powerful than a Slant 6. All I care about is if it can do dump runs, haul the occasional load of wood, and maybe large car parts. My 70-year old mother is going to drive it, too. Besides, it's part of my religion to own a half-ton, 6-cylinder pickup truck! grin

The best part about it is that my slot wheels will fit, I'll get a "Tuff" steering wheel just for fun, add an 8-track player and some side pipes. Who cares if it's a six? If I want to go fast, I've got other cars for that. I'm hoping to not have to touch the motor. It's got a tag on it says it was rebuilt less than 10k ago. As long as I avoid hills, it should be fine. Although, the current owner has tried talking me into a carb'd 318 he has lying around instead of putting the V6 back in.

The overall size of any vehicle today is huge. Granted, I guess people have gotten bigger but when a Mustang is 4,000lbs.... even some of the "little" Hondas are pretty porky being over 3,000lbs. I remember when a Honda was 1,800lbs and got 40+ mpg. Nah. I don't think I'll ever buy a New car again. Did it once, that was enough. I'll buy what I like from here on out.

Last edited by That AMC Guy; 06/05/21 06:29 PM.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....