couple other quick notes.....

Like Rick said, it's not really that big of a deal to modify a W5 pushrod hole to fit a 48 degree block, I know ou812 has done a set, I've done a couple sets like that, and W5Dart66's motor is a 48* block as well.

MP could change the machining process to make pushrod slots rather than holes, BUT the problem with that is, it is much harder to fix a pushrod pinch hole put it by the head porter with a slot than a hole. In a hole you just sleeve the pushrod hole.... with a slot, it's an epoxy fix. So I would almost rather see them be holes for 59* rather than a universal slot.

And I know someone before long will mention the 59* W9 and why I left it off the list of avail. big port heads.... well What most people don't realize is , just because they call it a 59* head, does'nt mean it really is. it still retains 15 dgegree valve angle, which requires custom pistons or piston machining, you still have no off shelf bolt on headers for a W9, no wet intake manifolds, all manifolds are dry and use valley trays and external water lines.... basically alot of hassles. plus the pushrod oil only big $ Jesel/T&D rocker gear. So yes, it is an option, but it is a big hassle option compared to a W5.

I think if MP see's that their is a market and that they could sell between 100-200 units a year they would possibly re-release the head. I don't think think their Commando sales would even come close to what W5 sales would look like today.

Also to sweeten the pot... something else Jim mentioned to me in passing was that the tooling for the R1A race blocks is still around and he would like to tool up and make those again. We would be talking both 59 and 48* blocks NEW from a dealer in the $1200 range. The R1A's used production tooling, and were cast by a Chrysler owned foundry. The R3 stuff is all cast at Motor Castings Co. in Milwaukee (same palce that does Dart blocks etc), and is based off of specialized tooling, and is then machined at Cummins. The specialized casting and machining is what drives the cost of the R3 blocks so high. Jim was telling me what Chrysler actually pays for those blocks, and I won't disclose it publically, but trust me, they are barely making ANY $ selling those blocks. Where as the R1A stuff can be done on production tooling and cost under $1000 each to produce. Allowing them to be priced aprox 1/2 of what an R3 costs, at your dealer. Now granted becasue it is production tooling, they will not be as nice as the R3's, but for guys who just want 4 bolt mains, filld in pan rails, thicker decks, etc. Without worrying about Siamese bores or big bore water blocks, these will fill the bill perfectly. if you need 4.180" bore and a wide variety of deck heights etc, then you will need an R3 still. But for someone wanting to do a 4.03-4.10" bore, 4" crank motor, with a solid block this would be the way to go.

Could you imagine hitting your dealer next year and being able to leave with a pair of brand new W5's AND a new R1A block for the smae $ you can now get 1 R3 for? if the demand is proven to be there, it could happen.

Everybody and their brother now offers 4" cranks, H beam rods, 4" pistons etc. All stuff that never existed back in the 90's when the W5 was discontinued. Now we need affordable race blocks and large port heads....