Originally Posted by dmoore
Originally Posted by DynoDave

[Linked Image]

That back in the day pic is very sinister! Wow, if you could achieve that again you will be a happy man!

I agree. I'm going to add a nice stereo, a floor shift console, and some forged '80's Cordoba wheels (those hubcaps are from the '80s J-car based Cordoba that my great Aunt/Uncle traded this car in on...then my Grandma bought this car, then I bought it from her...the aunt preferred the original '77 hubcaps, and had the dealer swap them when she traded). Lots of mechanical mods in mind, but the appearance will be very much like this.

I'm just starting to clean up the grungy engine compartment, especially in the area around the radiator. And I have a few questions. If you could help me dmoore (or anyone with an original, unmolested car), I'd appreciate it. Photos would be very helpful.

1) Here's a yet-uncleaned are of the core support, right by the battery Thermoguard. Notice the little wiring harness retainer. I don't have a harness in this area. That means I unwrapped it 20 years ago and have forgotten what goes there (likely), or??? Do you have a harness in this location? If so, what circuits are in it / where do the wires go?

[Linked Image]

2) Photo two is of the passenger side front corner of the engine compartment. In stock form, the washer fluid fluid bottle would be in this corner. On mine you will see the charcoal canister and an air intake duct. When I cleaned this surface off (this is a quick working ladies bath guys, not a pro detail...baby steps) there are the old adhesive remnants of a factory decal. As can be seen in the photos I posted on the 14th, the Buy MOPAR Parts decal, and antifreeze decal are still in place on the core support. Do you have a decal in this location, and if so, what is it for? It might have been an oddly placed oil change decal, but it seems too small for that.

[Linked Image]

3) No mystery here...this is where the factory thin rubber hood-to-cowl seal mounted on the underside of the hood. Mine was there once upon a time, but was literally as fragile as a thin potato chip, and just shattered into pieces over the years. I don't have any good photos of a factor one in place. If yours is intact, I'd love some photos of it.

[Linked Image]

4) A couple of surface finish questions here.

[Linked Image]

- Arrow 1 is the a/c condenser bracket. appears to have had a black painted finish on it, which is largely popping off of this bracket. I'm assuming is some form of supplier sprayed flat or semi-gloss / chassis black. What does your look like?

- Arrow 2 is the horn bracket, and horn. Like the a/c condenser bracket, this one is decayed enough that it's hard to tell what the supplier finish was. If yours are in batter shape, photos would be great.

- Arrow 3 is the top of the frame rail. I have not cleaned it here, so I'll show a photo (below) of the same area on the passenger side. I have not cleaned that little pocket on either side, but it looks like it might have been chassis black, and not Formal Black
Metallic. What finish is on that surface on your white car? It should stand out a lot more on your white car Vs my black one.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DynoDave; 04/28/20 04:26 PM.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba