Took yesterday off, but got back at it today for an hour +.

So I'm left with these spots...lead tie plate, with the remaining ends of the lead battery plates attached. You can see in the cells marked 1 and 3, the ends of the lead battery plates have all but fallen apart, with little remaining to be removed.

[Linked Image]

In cell 2, I have taken a Dremel, and cut about 2/3 of the way through them horizontally (that's as far as the cut-off wheel would reach), and using pliers I have started to twist them off, working right to left.

Cell 4 is what most started out looking like. To get a "clean" stack of plates to cut as in cell 2, I had to use a small screwdriver to scrape the debis from behind one plate, fold it over, clean the next gap, go to the next, all the way across.

Here's the "finished" product. The lugs in the upper left and upper right corners are the underside of the posts on the top of the battery. Here I have trimmed them down to be round posts on the inside, more or less. And I think this is about as far as I'm going to go. Working to cut away more of the remaining tie plates is difficult, and stressing the plastic case pretty severally. The corner posts are not going to live, as there's nothing tied to them on the underside. And the small battery I'm going to place in here will come no where near the remaining lead pieces. Tomorrow I'll give it a bath.

[Linked Image]

The good news...an inspection of the exterior of the case, sides and top, showed no more damage than what we had already seen. The crack around the positive post on the top of the battery has not changed since I removed the battery from the car. With some repairs, I think the case is entirely salvageable.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba