Originally Posted By BigBlockMopar
The 302-heads and XE256 cam were chosen purely for streetdriving.
Now that I've driven with this engine for some 2 months, goals might have changed and I started thinking, I *think* I 'need' more power.
A cam and headchange might be in the works perhaps.

I'm running a XR274R roller in a 496ci stroker, which has a very obvious idle. Running a stock stall convertor behind it and it's pushing against it. This engine however is quite a handful because of the long-ram intakes with 2 carbs doing kinda 'whatever they like', according to the AFR-gauges in the car.

I can only wonder how an even bigger cam would behave in a way smaller 360ci.

Propane can be seen as a 100+ octane fuel but with a little less energy.

An XR280R in a 360 is not going to fool anyone into believing that that 360 is a stock engine and it sure wont appreciate a stock converter either,it probably wont even idle in gear with that. But it will idle at 750-800rpm until you are out of gas if everything else is right and yes it has an idle that you will notice, In my 340 it had a nice long powercurve even if it might have been alitle soft down low,but that was in a seriously worn out engine.

A friends Edelbrock RPM headed tunnelramed 383smallblock with that cam was perfectly tuned and was very mild manered all around,had a fairly tight 3000rpm converter,could idle forewer,started by just a very quick twist of the key,but standing still just slam the throtle wideopen and the thing would smoke its 28x10.5 ET-STreet tires for probably 200meters(thats about 1/8mile for you Americans) and go about 100km/h(about 60mph) when letting of,thats how a well tuned 500HP smallblock behaves when everything is set up right and ran mid to low 11s in the quartermile shifting at about 6000rpm.

Hey we all need more power and there is always tradeofs but rest asure that build it right and tune it just right and you can make something that is wild in most people books behave quite good on the street even if it wont idle like that stock 318,but its not for everyone,a real 500 horse engine will eat stock drivelineparts over time unless you run it on ice or never step on it,and it will show alitle attitude.

BTW how is that 100+ octane measured? I know that we have a way different measuring system up here in Sweden compared to the American system.