Originally Posted By BigBlockMopar
============================
* 'Mandatory' 9 year old topic update! *
============================

Major topic-revival from the almost forgotten basement.

9 years since this topic started.
Plenty of new stuff has come out since then so it should be easier to get to '500hp' nowadays.

To kick it off again;
I'm considering to wake up my current stock stroke and dailydriven 360ci engine in a '73 Dart a bit more.

This engine has a 11.3:1cr, polished '302' heads with 60/61cc chambers.
KB-pistons, balanced assembly. AirGap intake.
(Hydr.) CompCams XE256H, used with solid lifters and Crane 1.5 rockers.
208-210 cranking compression. Running on Propane fuel.
Doug's full length headers into a dual 2.5" exhaust system with X-pipe and Borla mufflers.

Would like to keep the shortblock/crank ass. as is (zero-deck), and considering going to a solid roller and some SideWinder heads perhaps.

Won't mind a little lopey idle, and I know this is contradictory, but fuel economy is a consideration so low/mid range torque/efficiency is King.
Like to keep it N/A.

What are today's options of getting at (around) '500hp' while keeping the engine docile enough for daily use and not be a handful to drive?

Docile is in the eyes of the beholder but here was my combo that made a touch under 500 according to the wallace calculators.

.040 360
KB107 pistons zero deck with .039 quench
Shady Dell Stage II ported Edelbrocks
258@.050 solid roller
Victor 340 intake
830 carb

It went 11.16@120.5 wieghing 3525lbs in good air for here. It had a big cam, and big converter but it was very driveable. It was in the car for 5 years and did 4 drag weeks in that time. It got a best of 15MPG on the highway on drag week. I never measured it in town, but it wasn't good due the converter and my right foot lol.

Pretty easy on parts, it ate the thrust once for reasons unknown, and we jammed a new crank in it over the weekend and went on drag week the next. I changed lifters once in 5 years and I changed the springs($100) every year before drag week as insurance.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340