Originally Posted By mopar dave
David Vizard has a graph for selecting lobe sep angles. He says its the best way to do it as he finds more power in big blocks than most anyone else. I have never seen anyone use it. Looking at his graph shows my 511 would need a lob sep of 100*. I have never seen anyone use a cam with those kind of lobe sep angles. Anyone know if Vizards gragh is BS or is there some validity to it. I am assuming his engines are race only.

There have been some very long threads on SpeedTalk about Vizard's LSA chart. Most engine builders think he is nuts although not everyone. I think the trick is that Vizard's chart was really only designed for 23 degree head SBC engines but I'm not sure. I do know that if you follow his advice you end up with cams that seem very strange and the cores might not even exist to make them. However, as Dwayne hinted at, some of the EMC guys had success running a super narrow LSA. I recall engines with 99, 100 and 101 lobe angles. That kind of stuff is way off the chart in my world. I used to have an old Crower cam that was 103 or something like that. I never ran it so now idea how well it worked. It must have worked at some point for someone though.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this engine. I might just put my old cam back in it or I might try one of these new lobes that Comp has released. The DGO 14669 looks like it would work on the intake for my engine or perhaps the DSP 12177. I think the DSS lobe might be pushing the lift just a tad too far.