Originally Posted By Dave Hall
IASCAR was the most spectated sport in the WORLD. Don't know about now. It's still probably pretty high on the list. NHRA did try to incorporate some of IASCAR's ideas (countdown, etc,) and has done a fair job of it. The big factor with NHRA is TV. It doesn't film well and TV coverage is nothing like being at the race. TV does not show how ridiculously quick and violent the cars are. Even the TV show one minute 1/8 mile runs with all the added tire squealing sounds doesn't come close to actually seeing the cars run. Add in the smells and sounds that are non existent on TV and you have a real loser. Sponsors are getting a tax write off and that's it. They are still spending the money but in no way is it a viable marketing venture. I have been to the Sonoma Nat. event, since it's inception, as a spectator or a participant and can tell you that fan participation when Pro Stock comes up has decreased steadily over that nearly 30 year time span. Fuel classes come up and the stands fill, fuel classes over and the stands empty. I have participated the last 4 or 5 years in Phoenix and Seattle and the yo-yo grandstand effect isn't nearly as noticeable as Sonoma. Fans pack the Utah Rocky Mountain Raceways Division 7 event. I don't know what the difference is besides locale. It seems to me that Pro Stock is not really the issue here as fuel fields are rarely full this year. Lose Force or Schumacher Racing and you've got a HUGE problem. My only thought is to maybe get some type of WiFi interaction with the head in my phone crowd. Apps for betting and fantasy drag racing and video and chicks and on and on... TV is NOT the answer, it seriously doesn't translate. I think it has to start with a renewed interest in the sport instead of the same old same old... Generally people are not interested in things that they can't afford to participate in. This steady decline has been going on for years and started with the imported car in the driveway and the closing of all the speed shops. I don't know about you but I can't stand the sight of Toyota emblems on a fuel car injector. Did that company actually do ANY r&d or engineering on ONE bolt of that engine? NHRA Pro's are whores, just like our US government personnel. To be honest, the thrill has waned for me too and I am just not interested in an imported commuter box turned race car. Camry! Let's Go Places!!! How about back to fukken JAPAN!!!

Couldn't have said it better... bow Went to the U.S. Nationals in Indy again, took the last couple years off. Sad to see the track about 1/3 empty on a Friday. frown

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!