Originally Posted By Supercuda
Goody, your an engineer.

How difficult would it have been to engineer the box to fit at least as well as the stock box?

For how much adjustment is available within the factory column and what misalignment it can take, it would likely not be very difficult. I would be curious to see what a random population of K-frames look like on a 3D scanner, I bet they vary substantially based on 70's quality control. Not that it's an excuse, but I bet many would be surprised.

I believe Borgeson could simply include some shims and people would complain a whole lot less. For example, Hotchkis includes pretty substantial shims on their front sway bar kit to accommodate factory K-frame variance, I believe my chassis mount shims are around 1/2". While obviously these shims are on much less of a critical component, the theory still applies.

Do people complain? No, they don't. Why? Because the shims are right there in the box and it seems to have been a forethought, they put the shims in and keep on living their lives. It's all in how one wants to spin it.

Originally Posted By Tom_Quad
Do you have any steering geometry issues with the centering and tie rod length?

The car has not had an alignment yet.

Quote:
Is the coupling center line in line with the steering column? Can't really tell from the picture.

Yes.

Quote:
A 10 gauge shim is how thick? Where again? Show us

10 gauge is approximately 0.14". The passenger side two bolts have shims behind the box, a picture isn't really necessary here, it's quite simple.

Quote:
Why are fast ratio arms needed on 16:1 box?

No applicable to my post. I will, however, consider the 1.5:1 steering quickener I have on hand if I find the steering not fast enough for an autocross course.
Quote:

It's difficult for to understand why spending a lot of money on better hardware that doesn't fit without compromise is a wise choice. As far a the firm feel boxes loosening up complaint. Try something called steering sector shaft adjustment. It's in the book [FSM].

The sector shaft adjustment is typically not an acceptable method of adjusting a box, with longevity in mind. Here is how my potential costs stacked up:

Firm Feel Stage 3 Box: ($379)
Shipping Core to Firm Feel: ($70)
Shipping Firm Feel Box Back: ($70)
Total: ($519)

Borgeson Box: ($566)
Shipping: $0
Borgeson U-Joint: ($117)
Selling Old Box: $90
Total: ($593)

It would have been $74 cheaper to use a Firm Feel box. I have a 15# lighter box and, from what I hear, excellent road feel once it is up and running.

It's not a life changing decision if it does not work out, but it's not like my alternative was hundreds of dollars cheaper. The numbers are there and are not sensationalized. twocents

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]