Originally Posted By csmopar
Originally Posted By jcc
Originally Posted By csmopar
Originally Posted By CJD AUTOMOTIVE
Not sure if this is still a discussion anymore....

I stand by what I say in that the thrust load of the M2 bearing is not designed (rated) to handle a sticky WIDE tire with lots of brake on a 3000+ lbs. car. The fact that they are almost identical to the Mopar bearing, only moves my point to include them as well. They were designed for hard compound, narrow 14" or 15" tires, not 18" tires with 300mm + rubber at any where close to 1G load. Same goes for all other period makes.

I know someone will say they been doing it for 30 years, but the tire compounds, coefficient of friction, and widths I'm talking about simply weren't available until just a few years ago.

100 percent agree.

eek, I must have a reading comprehension problem, or that is a 180 degree u turn? But then this whole thread has been a SF Lombard Street anyway. laugh2

Yep you do. I'm agreeing with him on the point that mopar spindles are no better and no worse than mustang ii spindles. I'm also agreeing with him about the wider, softer tires being used today not existing till recent years.

"Also, one last note. The mustang 2 bearings are actually larger in diameter than the mopar bearings, they are however, slightly thinner in the bearing width, less than a 1/16 of an inch. So if you're gonna say the mustang 2 spindle bearing isn't big enough diameter wise to handle a 3000 lb car, then the mopar bearing isn't either........using your line of thinking"

And simultaneously disagreeing with his earlier comment here:

"Just an FYI, doesn't seem to be a standard for KPI on the M2 spindles. Everyone is a little different. Also, the bearings are way undersized for 3K plus cars being tracked.

Edited by CJD AUTOMOTIVE (09/09/16 06:24 PM)"

My beef is with the dainty alum wilwood hubs, the bearings are what they are, and that track induced braking heat weakens them, find any graph online that suits your fancy, it is still a fact, especially at the temps we might see on the track, and the drop off in strength is sharp and profound. Choose whatever decrease in strength you can accept is your choice, I'm not changing my driving line because of poorly chosen, lightweight alum drag hubs. Stating alum cools faster and therefore not an issue, completely ignores the fact it also heats faster, the bearing issue dovetails with the this, because smaller bearings/races are more likely mire prone to the heat expansion issues of the hub, in addition to the observation the wilwood hubs are not a Robust design, ie very thick in stressed areas, even when compared to steel OEM hubs, and alum needs to be thicker then steel in almost every case in similar applications, but you know all that.

Last edited by jcc; 09/11/16 11:36 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.