Originally Posted By csmopar
Originally Posted By jcc

You seem to keep avoiding my main contention, heat effects alum much more significantly then steel. Why?

Wilwood is the typically lightest alum hub from what I have seen. I thought my point was understanding that wilwood using any small bearing makes for a small hub, a large bearing, even though having higher bearing capacity, makes for a larger (stronger hub). The others I have less experience with. Alum can be and is best solution in almost all applications, IF the design is correct, concerning material, material thickness, additional cooling to reduce brake generated heat, and finally the intended application, drag vs open track, vehicle weight, track speeds, braking duty, driving style, tire/wheel combos, etc. Your list only means no one has reported failures or are not reaching the limits (show cars?), not that the design is ideal. I guess this discussion should really be for those that have track time that have actually had on track heat related brake issues/concerns vs those that have not. I'm speaking from the former.

There are racing organizations (and/or manufacturers) that do not allow RF alum hubs, I suspect that reasoning is more based on fatigue failure from repeated high loads.

The Ron Sutton alum hubs for instance and the Wilwood alum hubs are light years apart, and not intended to be part of this discussion.

here, I highlighted the very statement typed by YOU. You are implying that you are the former, aka the person experiencing such failures. So lets see them. You've yet to provide a single shred of evidence to back your theory in this entire thread. Seriously, other than this thread on google, find us where you have all this information as to aluminum hubs failing. Or even just Wilwood hubs for that matter.

I guess we have found the core issue here, lack of reading comprehension, combined with conclusion jumping. "Failure" is your word, not mine, I said "issues/concerns".

My "theory" has been for nth time, is alum gets weaker at low enough temps on this subject, that strength is effected negatively. You have yet to address that other then obliquely, by negating it overall because you can't find an online example.

And Craig's point has a lot of validity, there are likely a very select few here that will ever drive into a corner at enough speed, and brake hard enough, repeatedly, to understand brake related temp issues.

So you keep tapping your brakes lightly and checking online line for my imagery alum hub failures, and I'll keep my wilwood hubs on my show cars, while on my other cars I keep diving under others, while braking into the hairpins, lap after lap ,in the summer. grin

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.