Originally Posted By moparx
the thing about a M2 front suspension i have observed over the years [and all of it's adaptions to anything on the planet] has been this. the M2 was available with the 302v8. it's position was almost centered over the spindle center line in the original car. although it's weight is not as much as a 318 [i think, but please correct me if needed], i believe all engines in our brand have a setback to where the engine[s] are mounted rearward of the spindle center line, thereby if using a M2 suspension design, even a stock cradle deal, the engine setback on our brand allows the M2 design to be almost, or just as stout as the original suspension due to the weight being positioned to the rear of the spindle center line. i hope you can understand what i'm trying to explain here. when putting this type of suspension in a 30's/40's/50's car, it is even more pronounced. at one time, a M2 kit manufacturer had several pics showing what i'm trying to convey here. it was stated that was the reason most guys complained the ride was way too stiff using V8 coils in their conversions, and had much improvements in all aspects using 4 or 6 cylinder springs instead. the bearing information was a much better presentation on why these things can work because of the loads involved, but i found the above diatribe a simplistic explanation without getting involved in the scientific explanation. and it seems using a quality M2 type kit made today pretty much eliminates any worries concerning failures of any kind. "quality" being the key word. i'm pretty sure i would not change over a suspension from an A,B, or E body to a M2 type, but over the years, i have been involved in many conversions on older and odd ball stuff, and the M2 derived kit swaps have all worked flawlessly. just an old guy's experience and observations over 50+ years of playing with cars. your results may vary. nascar cup cars not included.
beer

Hmmm very good points. Didn't think of it that way before but it makes sense.