Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
Hopefully this will be my last question...the
trans I have on the bench is the JY one that I
changed the pump on.. that trans didnt have reverse..
now when I opened it up I see that both of the nylon
rings on the input shaft were torn up... would this
be the cause of no reverse.. I think it is but I want
to ask and make sure.. everything looks like new in
it.. all the fibers and steels.. everything... I opened
up the OD and those look great also... so am I correct
to think the nylon rings would be the reverse issue...
thanks much guys... Im sending out the conv to have it
checked and cleaned.. I will clean out the cooler and lines
wave

Mike, check out the replacement pump.

Years ago my dad had a 727 rebuilt for his truck. The builder was a low buck trans guy, who replaced the "worn out" pump. When we got it installed, it didn't have reverse. It seems to me IIRC it also needed a lot of throttle input to get it to move in forward gears. The builder couldn't find anything wrong with it and basically told us we were SOL. We tore that trans apart at least a half dozen times, and everything looked right, until I noticed the front drum was lightly rubbing the back of the reaction shaft support. It turned out that either the builder ordered a lock up pump for a non lock up trans, or the pump was incorrectly boxed and he didn't catch it or know the difference. We found a used pump in our stash, put it in, and the trans works to this day.
I know yours is a lock up. I'm just wondering how our experience would play out in reverse if your pump was actually for a non lock up trans. Could be worthwhile looking in to.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.