Living where I live.....and gas being $9/gallon....people are still buying the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Liter engines. They are still buying the Jeep Compass, The crossfire when it was still being sent here. They think its a sign of luxury when they buy an a modern American car but they are soon weeping when the gas bill comes in or the tax man comes a knockin. I know first hand how expensive it is because I have a 1992 GMC Safari with a 4.3L engine...Mind you, thats a 4.3L now...Every year you get taxed based on the size of your engine, the bill for the GMC came and it was $2540 for JUST this year....I surrendered my plates which makes me exempt from paying because I just dont drive the car that much.

When people see an American classic...they oooh and aaah...just like in the US...the difference is...here...they think because you have a nice car that you are doing something dirty to afford the gas...I still retain about 16-18mpg but all the other people here is money being burned by an engine. The average wage of a person here $1000 a month and I just spent $225 to fill up my tank...but I haven't driven her in a month...they don't know that though, they may think I am out every day with her).

Me personally, If you gave me $40k to guy buy a car, I wouldn't even look to the US Car Makers....I want a nice sporty car, with a 2 liter maybe 2.5 liter engine, agile in corners, and a 5spd/6spd ... I choose the Audi A5. The yearly price tag for me in taxes will be like 400 bucks. Its still a pipe dream...I drive an 04' Chevy with a 1.6L / 5spd with 127,000km (80,000miles) on the odometer

Family owned 1969 Charger R/T DualQuad 440/727/GVO/3.55s