Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

After sleeping on this, I bet that bellhousing needed to be indexed even though it was stock, and was just a bit too far off

This , new bellhousing , it is not indexed to the engine . Original bellhousing are attached to the engine block when it is being machined and mated to it .

I can see that you have never been in an engine machining / assembly plant.

The only thing attached to an engine block for machining is the bearing caps or main bearing bedplate (if equipped).

A bellhousing is machined separately, most likely in a separate plant, or at a minimum in a separate area of the plant, and taken off a palate or feeder and randomly selected to be bolted to the back of an engine. This is a relatively non-critical joint as far as geometry goes.

I'm going to GUESS that you did not work for Chrysler in their engine plant back in the 60's? ... Neither did I .... I see that you are were a Diesel development Engineer and have probably forgotten more than I know, but ....

I don't know if I saved it but on more than one occasion a picture has been posted on this website during a discussion about this subject ... indexing a bellhousing ... showing Chrysler engine blocks before/awaiting assembly and it clearly shows EMPTY blocks both with and without bellhousings attached to them waiting for their turn.

I put a stock '513 alum 130 tooth bellhousing on the back of a 68 383 block and checked the runout , it wasn't even close to the factory allowable spec ...

Last edited by JohnRR; 07/24/13 11:47 AM.