Quote:

fwiw a roller camshaft has alot wider rpm range, and isn't nearly as lazy off the bottom, which would help you out of corners. I would think more cubes would be better too, as the extra torque will help out of corners also. There is a low deck 470 crank I seen in the for sale section for 500 bucks I think.

I saw that crank its says its a 3.75 crank offset to 3.90, what does that mean? why would't the guy just get the 3.90 crank?
I looked at roller cams and with lifters your close to the 1grand mark. Are they worth the extra money? They're more than double of all the other types of cams/lifters.

Quote:

A rough idle is over-rated. Never understood the fascination with that. Get a cam that will work. Nothing better than a stock idle and balls out performance. I'd call and have a custom cam ground for your application. If you want an off the shelf cam the VooDoo 533 is probably your best option. The 472 is a good way to go. They seem to run strong and are reliable. The 750DP would be best, intake is a good one as well.

I like the rough idle sound? i dunno. just grew up with it i guess.
I was thinking of a custom grind, who would you reccomend? racer brown? hughes? comp?

Quote:

If it was me, for the same money and the same amount of work I would build a 512. 4.25 stroke, 6.53 rods and 1.32 compression height pistons in a 400 block. All of this is off the shelf parts and makes for a sweet engine.

Joe

Wouldn't the 512 be overkill for what I'm doing with the car?

thanks again guys for the advice!