Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like the build you're doing. I went a similar route on my build except on a big block. The six pack I'm running has the manifold deep ported and uses the mechanical secondary carbs. They all have accelerator pumps. I don't really like the feel of the vacuum secondary style of carbs, but that's a preference thing.

The six pack gives the motor a Dr Jekyle & Mr Hyde type of personality, mild mannered with decent mileage while on the center carb, and brutal power and acceleration when the outboards are tipped in.

When the unknowing ask to go for a ride in my car, I innocently lull them into relaxing by driving smooth and normal on the center carb. Right when they are all relaxed and not expecting it, I tip in the outboards, the motor changes personality with a sinister, Mr Hyde-like roar, their legs and arms lock to brace themselves as their eyes get as big as silver dollars. 700 hp will do that too you.

As soon as I go back on the center carb, they all seem to have a smile on their face that outlasts the ride home. It's the little things in life that make me smile these days.

When the motor was being dynoed, I had them test it with a big 4 barrel, the six pack was a bit stronger in the mid-range , and the single 4 eeked out a handful more hp at high rpm.

For me, my car would be bit less fun to drive and not as street friendly without a six pax on it.

Thanks! There has been some thought put into it for sure. I like the idea of using mechanical secondary's and accelerator pumps on each one. More info please. So far the six pack is winning this debate!

The mechanical six pack Holley 2300 carbs were sold over the counter under the Direct Connection banner as "Racing" carbs. They were also used on Ford's during the '60's. It takes a bit of searching, but there are still a lot of nice sets out there, especially if you Google Ford set-ups.

Hughes Engines deep ported the intake and stage 2 ported my Indy EZ's. I picked up a very nice heim-joint linkage set-up from Ben at ProMax. I used a wide band to tune them, which makes it relatively easy to get them virtually spot on in no time.

Here's a pic of the linkage, and an old fuel line I had made up. I've since gone to three individual fuel lines. Notice the fuel feed is on the opposite side, as the float bowls are side hung.

They were actually only offered through Direct Connection andd through some speed shops about 20 or more years ago.

The Holley list numbers for the mechanical carbs are Center = #4782 and Outboards = #4783

I stand corrected about the availability of the carbs through Ford collectors, but there is some interesting history surrounding early Ford Tripower set-ups that I found on the net.

"In the 1969-70 period, Ford developed the 6V intakes for the 351C, 429 and BOSS429. Ford made a determination that NASCAR rules had no restrictions on using a 3x2 intake, so they embarked on a development program around their current 351C engine called the NASCAR 366 Program. The historical background on the NASCAR 366 Engine and 429SCJ 6V and BOSS429 6V, was shared with me by Tom Vaught of Ford Motor Company.15 They designed and built 500 366 engines plus 6V intakes and went to Holley to develop a set of carburetors for the program. They used a set of List 4782/4783 vacuum secondary carburetors for the motor. During the testing, it was determined that the 1355cfm size of the carburetion was too much for the size of the motor, so Holley sleeved these carburetors to reduce the airflow. Once the testing was done, Ford presented the planned engine and carburetor package to NASCAR for approval. In preparing for this, Ford actually produced 500 Ford 366 engines; each equipped with the new alum Buddy Bar Casting 3x2 intake manifolds and sleeved Holley 4782/4783 carburetors. Unfortunately, NASCAR said “No” to Ford who immediately ordered the destruction of all 500 of the NASCAR 366 engines, 3x2 intakes and the specially built Holley sleeved 6V carburetors . Over the course of a week, Ford employees physically destroyed these pieces of performance history. Fortunately for the few lucky current owners of 351C 6V intakes, a few brand new bare 6V intakes
which were hiding away in engineering spaces escaped the sledge hammers and are around today. As for the sleeved Holley 2300 carbs, a very few still exist, carefully held by people who knew the value of these special pieces. Recently, a Ford 429SCJ 6V intake manifold held by a person connected to Buddy Bar Casting in Los Angeles was purchased and with it came a single sleeved Holley 6V carb. They are very rare.
After the decision to eliminate the 366 program, Ford advised Holley they were no longer interested in the Ford/Holley developed List 4782/4783 2300 6V carbs, so Holley contacted General Motors to see if they were interested in these carbs. They told Holley “No,” so Holley offered them to MOPAR who jumped at the chance. Holley made some changes to the carbs, converting them from vacuum secondary to full mechanical with full metering plates, which were thereafter offered as competition carburetors to MOPAR owners who wanted a little more performance out of their SixPack equipped 340 and 440 motors. Edelbrock produced a set of mechanical-progressive linkage along with a fuel log for these carburetors and the overall package allowed any MOPAR SixPac owner to get rid of his vacuum secondary carburetion and convert to full mechanical progressive 3x2 carbs which flowed a total of 1355cfm."

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)