Quote:

Quote:

I like the build you're doing. I went a similar route on my build except on a big block. The six pack I'm running has the manifold deep ported and uses the mechanical secondary carbs. They all have accelerator pumps. I don't really like the feel of the vacuum secondary style of carbs, but that's a preference thing.

The six pack gives the motor a Dr Jekyle & Mr Hyde type of personality, mild mannered with decent mileage while on the center carb, and brutal power and acceleration when the outboards are tipped in.

When the unknowing ask to go for a ride in my car, I innocently lull them into relaxing by driving smooth and normal on the center carb. Right when they are all relaxed and not expecting it, I tip in the outboards, the motor changes personality with a sinister, Mr Hyde-like roar, their legs and arms lock to brace themselves as their eyes get as big as silver dollars. 700 hp will do that too you.

As soon as I go back on the center carb, they all seem to have a smile on their face that outlasts the ride home. It's the little things in life that make me smile these days.

When the motor was being dynoed, I had them test it with a big 4 barrel, the six pack was a bit stronger in the mid-range , and the single 4 eeked out a handful more hp at high rpm.

For me, my car would be bit less fun to drive and not as street friendly without a six pax on it.

Thanks! There has been some thought put into it for sure. I like the idea of using mechanical secondary's and accelerator pumps on each one. More info please. So far the six pack is winning this debate!

The mechanical six pack Holley 2300 carbs were sold over the counter under the Direct Connection banner as "Racing" carbs. They were also used on Ford's during the '60's. It takes a bit of searching, but there are still a lot of nice sets out there, especially if you Google Ford set-ups.

Hughes Engines deep ported the intake and stage 2 ported my Indy EZ's. I picked up a very nice heim-joint linkage set-up from Ben at ProMax. I used a wide band to tune them, which makes it relatively easy to get them virtually spot on in no time.

Here's a pic of the linkage, and an old fuel line I had made up. I've since gone to three individual fuel lines. Notice the fuel feed is on the opposite side, as the float bowls are side hung.

Last edited by jbc426; 12/22/12 05:36 PM.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)