First purchase should be a shop manual for your year and model. It's all there. That's how I learned befor there was an inner net.

I always use four good jack stands on a level surface, then cut the break lines with a saw or diagonal cutter pliers, and use a 6 point socket and a breaker-bar for the bolts. The flare wrenches are handy for installation. Your gonna need to remove all the springs and might as well pull the shoes too, to remove the cylinders. These should be replaced as well. When doing brakes on older cars I replace everything, from the master or booster right down to the hardware and pads. I used to just fix what was leaking but soon found out where the next weakest point was. The lines are cheap to replace and easy to bend, just copy the parts you remove. Don't make it too hard on yourself, it's really just a simple job once you do a couple times. Take your time and keep saftey in mind and you will be O.K.
If you decide to replace just the master as rcomended, you will still need to break away the bleeder screws. If those break off you will be replacing the wheel cylinders any way.

I have mechanical Aptitude.
I can screw up anything.