Quote:

Quote:

Yes but in 1966 only a 350 h.p. engine was available which had the lower lift cam unlike the 383 H.P. and the 440s with same came that came in the 375 h.p.

The reason A/C was not available with 4 speed and high lift cam was because of problems with overreved compressors.

D, a couple of thoughts.....

The 68-69 383 four speed A/C cars came with the 330 horse engine. Why couldn't the 440-four speed A/C cars come with the lower powered 440?

Compressor speed - couldn't that have been easily solved with a different size pulley?

383-4speed A/C car production is relatively small. There were a lot fewer 440 equipped cars. How large of a market could there have been for this combination? Would you have sold 10? 20? 100? a year?

Would it have been worth it (remember Chrysler was supposed to be a for profit business) to design, build, ship, store, inventory and promote the availability plus deal with any back end warranty or repair issues for a small run?

(Just to reminder, the only thing that made the 66 383 an "HP" was making it a 4-bbl. There wasn't an 383 335 HP variant in the B bodies until 68 nor the 440 HP cam until 67. No 375 horse 440 until 67. Just want to keep our engines straight to keep the thread on topic)

Doug, the quote you reference above was my answer to the availability of A/C with a 440 and a 4 speed on the C bodies which it WAS available and for the reason I stated. As you stated only the 350 h.p. 440 was available in 1966 and it had the lower revving cam.

At 18 years old in 1968 when I was selling Dodges new I was the exception to the rule in that I liked performance cars WITH A/C. I asked both our factory sales and srvice reps why the 4 spped A/C combo was not available on R/Ts and the answer was because of compressor problems. What else could it be? All of the componants were readily available and being used in other applications. Yes, it would be an easy fix with a different size pulley why they chose not to is anyones guess.