Quote:

Mike you absolutely cannot have flow of either a liquid (or electricity for that matter) without differential. fluid (like electricity) flows from an area of high potential to an area of low potential. without differential the system is static, when there is differential the system is dynamic and flowing.

think of the engine as an orifice because that's what it amounts to, basically a fixed size leak. just for arguments sake say you had an oil pump with a 60# relief spring in it and you somehow managed to increase the crankcase pressure to 60#. you know how much oil would be flowing through the engine then? zilch, zero, nada because there would be no differential between the discharge pressure of the pump and the downstream side of the system. with the exception of what is being recirculated internally in the pump the system would be static.

all else being equal the more you increase pressure on the inlet of the system (pump discharge) the greater the amount of oil flowing through the leak (engine clearances).

here's another way to look at it being you understand the PD pump always pumps the same volume per revolution. as you increase the pump speed the output volume increases proportionally right? so the engine is idling with say 20# of OP, then you increase the engine speed which as you know increases the discharge volume of the pump, and where is that going? through the engine. the entire pump output volume goes through the engine up to the point the RV cracks and the pump begins to recirculate internally. what else is increasing with engine speed? the oil pressure, this gives a higher delta P hence a higher flow. put a 80# spring in the pump and the entire volume of the pump will be pumped through the engine until the RV cracks but now it's at 80# so the volume of oil being pumped through the engine is increased over what it was with the 60# spring.

Leon you are correct, although the TF pump is always pumping. anytime you run a fluid through a system there is heat imparted into the fluid, this follows the first law of thermodynamics. the mechanical energy of the pumping element is doing work on the fluid which is transferred into the fluid in the form of heat and kinetic energy. the greater amount of work you're doing on the fluid the more heat is transferred into the fluid. an example would be sitting on the brake up against the converter this puts a ton of heat in the fluid. in this case the vast majority of the kinetic energy the engine is generating. the engine converts chemical energy (fuel) into kinetic and heat energy. most of the heat energy goes into the cooling system and out the exhaust, in this example most of the kinetic energy is converted back into heat energy in the converter. energy can be neither created nor destroyed only changed in form.

i don't write these laws i just follow them

i'm gettin a headache

good read, I am supprised your fingers aren't bleeding from punching keys.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.