Quote:

Don, I think your goal is very do-able! I'd source a 5.9 mag to run a custom ground hyd roller with OEM lifters, 2.02 RHS heads, air gap, 750 carb, 1 5/8 headers, 904, 9" or 10" converter...and there you go. Might take a 3.91-4.10 gear to get there. But it makes me ask: Why not a 4.00" crank combo?? Here is the logic behind my question:

Crank: Cast 4.00" crank can be had for what...$250-$300? What's it going to cost to mag, turn and polish an OEM crank?

Rods: SCAT I-beams (no block grinding) are $300. What's it cost to have OEM rods redone? Here in CA it's about $250-$275 done RIGHT with ARP hardware

Pistons: Yea, okay you can get $300 Hyper KB's but the Forged KB for the 4.00" crank are in the $470-$480 range.

My points are:

1) Nearly the same $$ to get a cast 4" crank vs. a OEM redo
2) Rods...ditto
3) Pistons are on a couple of hun more...
5) Balancing? You'd have to have the 360 balanced also, right??

For the additional 50+ ft lbs of torque, the few hun it takes to build a "street" 408 is a pretty good deal, IYAM (New one: If You Ask Me...LOL) You could be in the mid-high 11's with a 3.55 gear!

All good points for sure

I have already had an 11 sec cast crank 416, a 10 sec cast crank 416, and a 9 sec forged crank 422 motor.

I know me ...and i were to do a 4 inch shortblock, it would be stout and have a good block wrapped around it...it would only be a matter of time before i have what i used to have, a 95% track, 5 % street car that i would sink a ton of money into....because at that point i would WANT to go 10.0 racing again. I have a harley to buy this winter, so the car has to kinda eat off the same plate.

For me, a little 340/360 will do all i want this car to do at this point in time, it will have " limited upward mobility" , and i wont have to worry about wheelstands with a shorter arm

I also dont want to put a roll bar in this Demon, so 11.50 in mineshaft air is all the better it would have to run to make me elated. Think i can do that with a production block, these rhs heads, and not even have to really lean on it to get there, and it should live to fight a lot of days.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, low 10.30’s 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.56 at 104.17