Quote:

Don, I think your goal is very do-able! I'd source a 5.9 mag to run a custom ground hyd roller with OEM lifters, 2.02 RHS heads, air gap, 750 carb, 1 5/8 headers, 904, 9" or 10" converter...and there you go. Might take a 3.91-4.10 gear to get there. But it makes me ask: Why not a 4.00" crank combo?? Here is the logic behind my question:

Crank: Cast 4.00" crank can be had for what...$250-$300? What's it going to cost to mag, turn and polish an OEM crank?

Rods: SCAT I-beams (no block grinding) are $300. What's it cost to have OEM rods redone? Here in CA it's about $250-$275 done RIGHT with ARP hardware

Pistons: Yea, okay you can get $300 Hyper KB's but the Forged KB for the 4.00" crank are in the $470-$480 range.

My points are:

1) Nearly the same $$ to get a cast 4" crank vs. a OEM redo
2) Rods...ditto
3) Pistons are on a couple of hun more...
5) Balancing? You'd have to have the 360 balanced also, right??

For the additional 50+ ft lbs of torque, the few hun it takes to build a "street" 408 is a pretty good deal, IYAM (New one: If You Ask Me...LOL) You could be in the mid-high 11's with a 3.55 gear!

yea I got to thinking about the cast crank idea myself. In the last article Brian at IMM did for car craft I believe that motor pushed 622hp on a scat 9000 series cast crank. I have read nothing but good about those cranks...just not sure how strong they are compared to an OEM 360 crank? some say they are great, others say they wouldnt trust them

whats a guy to do

Either way though, the RHS heads would be a great foundation for either build