Quote:

I say you're foot is bleeding.

I don't have time to give you a complete breakdown, but $35k wouldn't cover the cost of parts and the drivetrain in my case.

I have over $100k in my resto, but my car was missing lots of stuff which significantly added to the cost. If it was together and complete, I probably could have saved $20 - $30k. Also, I spent good money on many repop parts that weren't good enough to use and also I bought quite a few spares.

Bottom line is that I spent $50k on metal work, body work, paint, panel alignment and body reassembly. Shop had over 600 hours charged to the car which I have every reason to believe is accurate. At a pretty cheap charge out rate of $50/hr that's $30,000 in labor alone. (If you want more detail on exactly what metal work was done and how many hours were spent, let me know and I'll dig it out.)

....then you can add in the engine, tranny, driveshaft, rear end, dash and gauges, interior, exhaust, suspension, etc. etc. Even the sub assy's that Jules did for me (steering column, wiper motor and linkage, e-brake assy, heater box) added up to a fair chunk of change.

I just don't see how a quality rotisserie restoration by skilled workers can cost any less than $50 - $60k.....heck, lots of people have indicated that they have 1000 - 2000 hours in thier resto and even at the cheapest rates possible for a real and viable business, it simply adds up.

Dave

Hits nail squarly on head!

I'll add to that, it really doesn't matter which car you start with, average to restore ANYTHING to an equal level isn't all that different