Quote:

Quote:

I guess a little explanation of our local situation. This is a highly depressed area. 85k will buy you a real nice house. Median income is quite a ways below national average. My shop has been paid for for 20 years. I have virtually no overhead. These are the reasons my labor rate is so low. If I told someone around here that it was 50k or more to do their car I would be running for my life. Sort of hard to tell someone it costs more to retore their car than they paid for their house.

That's understandable but the parts will cost the same, wheather you live in a depressed area or a rich area. The body shop that did my '69 car had over 670 hours in it but the thing is dead straight. Paint materials, depending on the color, will probably cost you over $2,000 which includes primers, bondo, sandpaper, tape, etc., etc. I think you'll be surprised at the final cost.

I would be happy to send you the 11 page breakdown of my parts and labor charges. Just PM me with your e-mail address.

All that changes is the labor rate; we've all been saying that a proper resto will take 1000 hrs give or take and the part cost is the same no matter where you are.

Even if you charge yourself out at $20/hr and don't have to pay rent, insurance, taxes, upkeep, tool replacement, etc. etc. it is still going to break down something like this;

- parts & materials: $20,000

- farmed out component resto and specialty labor: $ 10,000

- 1000 hrs at $20/hr: 20,000

Total: $50,000

All I know is that I could have done ALL the labor by myself for free and I still would have spent more than your $35k budget. I would take the offer given above and take a look at a spreadsheet for a complete nut and bolt resto to make sure you haven't missed or underestimated significant items.

Do what you like, but I think you're making a big mistake and will be working for free. If we could all get quality resto work done where you live for 1/3rd the going rate, we'd all be doing that.

OTOH, if you don't have any bills to pay, maybe it's a good idea to do this one and then you'll know for sure one way or the other.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]