A former co-worker has an 09 Shelby GT500 and has talked some smack all along. I'd really enjoy showing him the backside of the X. I really think deep 11s are possible with this car, maybe better, but I haven't been on a dragstrip in years. I'm no Ronnie Sox or Joel Nystrom, but I truly believe I should be able to cover that Shelby. What do I need to do as far as setting up the car and driving technique to get out front and stay there. THANKS GUYS!

"Cudabin" gave you the best advice regarding your car. I'd probably do all he suggested & perhaps looking at ways of loosening up the front-end a bit.
As to the race---downplay you & your car's "skill's", admit nothing & pre-arrange the rules. If you can pull him, do it, but keep just a fender on him all the time until you feel confident & are racing for some big money. Run him heads-up only, despite his possible crying of big motor-vs.- little motor. Don't underestimate his driving--he may be "pear-shaped" but HE isn't running, his car is. 50+ isn't really an oldman for racing, so all that argument is moot. You need to practice ---ALOT! Find someone you respect to follow along, gauge your driving & possibly offer some tips.
Remember, your car is not a rev-monster like a smallblock, blown DOHC motor can be, so don't even try. As others have said, I think this is gonna be a driver's race......good luck!