Quote:

Well opinions vary. I shoulda probably mentioned I work at a ford dealership, and have worked on and driven several GT500s. They are killer... About 100 times better than any mustang from the 60s or 70s any way you look at it. My intent here was to find out how I could get the most out of my car. Trust me, I know the Shelby's will run. I've had the X since 1983, but admittedly I'm a little rusty with the 4 speed. It was a hard car to hook even with the heated up 440. That's the reason I'm asking you guys. I'd like to stack the deck in my favor as much as I can if a race ever happens. Tips on doing a proper burnout, setting the tire pressure, making the chassis work, and transfer weight, are the things I'm asking for your advice on. I imagine Holley carbs do make more power than AFBs but I'm not willing to buy an intake, carbs, and another air cleaner to gain another 35-40 hp. The 750 edelbrocks definitely won't be out of the box. They'll be set up specifically for my motor.

The Shelby owner? He's just the type of guy you'd love to relieve of a couple grand. Pear shaped, backside shaped like a chair bottom, lot more money than sense. When he needs work done on his car he pays somebody at the dealership to do it. He did spend the better part of a day installing a rear seat delete kit in the Shelby, and some tacky window louvers. About as hands on as he gets is to paint the brake calipers red on every vehicle he owns. The kinda guy JC Whitney sends a calender every christmas. That car has never seen a drag strip and I doubt seriously if he has the nards to keep his right foot planted while he goes through the gearbox. Most of the road tests I've read on Shelbys had them running low 13s, and I don't think they had Betty White driving either.

I've seen them run as well and every one of them was 13.xx - 15.xx. So I think you're right on that. Unless the guys has spent money to make it run better - and it sounds like you are in a position to know that.

I wouldn't worry about it - I would set your car up for how YOU want it - and if you want to race him - call him out. Set it up and run head's up. Keep your foot in it - if you can beat him by 5 then do it.

Burnout techniques - if you don't havea line-lock - get one. Stab the throttle to get it up on the tire then back it down a bit. Look in the mirror for tire smoke, count to 2, then let off the lock and roll out of it.

The tree - leave on the last yellow. If you see Green - you're late.

Shifting - practice shifting to the point where the 2-3 shift (the most problematic for most folks) is a never miss. Don't let off the throttle when you shift - be able to do it QUICKLY.

Don't worry about playing games. Burnout, stage, launch, run it hard all the way out the back door.

If you get the chance to take your car to the track to practice and see what it really does, get used to some things, set a routine, and tune your car (ET is the best dyno on the planet) - then yu should do that. It will be time and money well spent - not to mention fun.

Now - go spank that Brand X.