Back in the early 80's when I did a W2 motor, I fried some arms and pushrods from lack of oiling. I had used the bushed arms from D/C and also the shafts plus the semi-finished pushrods. I did some checking and it turned out that even though the shafts were from D/C for the W2 application, not the regular heads, the oil holes were miss drilled 90*. The arms would have had to be straight up and down with the rocker tip pointing at the crank to get oil. By chance I had contact with one of the gents who designed the heads for Ma Mopar, Lee Muir at Chryslers west coast skunk works Shadow Racing, and he told me that Mopar made a bunch of these shafts with this screwup and did nothing to remedy it. I ended up replacing some arms, both shafts, some pushrods and ground in some light grooves into the shafts for oiling. With the heads assembled, stick a wire into the oil hole that squirts the valve, when the valve is closed, and see if the arm and shaft holes line up. If they don't, bingo! Just because D/C makes the stuff, it doesn't mean its going to work properly. Lee Muir developed these heads with the King, #43, and it was a MAJOR HONOR to meet this guy who did all this neat stuff way back in the Can-Am, Formula 5000 and REAL NASCAR days. This was the engine that was originally in Diego Teds, my old, Duster.

Last edited by CKessel; 03/06/11 02:20 AM.

Carl Kessel