Quote:

I had one ov those truck OD 833's, a nice clean low-miler. I ended up selling it after reading many posts here on how weak they are. Also, i've been in a car that had one, a Demon with a pretty hot 340... i didn't like it, at all. That gear spread would drive me nuts in a week. Sure, you could swap the guts into an iron case, but half the draw IS that aluminum case... i like the weight savings. Thats also the draw with a 5spd... they're lighter. I need to buy a new driveshaft anyways.

As for the Passon 4spd gears, thats still a 4-spd. If i can only have four, i'll stick with simple and it'll be a stock hemi unit with the high gears out back.

the A833OD in my '76 duster is original to the car, and all iron....

yes they are weaker, but people have run them behind 440's without a problem as long as they aren't too built, or as long as they don't hook super great (i.e. fine on street tires, but may break the output shaft with drag slicks)

I don't feel the ratios are super wide (3.09, 1.67, 1, .73), my duster handles them fine. biggest issue is designing your engine for a wide powerband, which would probably mean moderate .050 duration & wider LSA to knock down peak torque and extend the powerband higher. I'm thinking a 0 deck 383, with milled closed chambered heads, and a cam like a comp XE275HL ground on a 112LSA, installed at 108 would work very well with that gear spread.

or for ~$1500 IIRC jamie passon has a gearset for an A833 that is as strong/stronger than the original 18 spline hemi gearset, but uses the same principle as the A833 OD by swapping 3 & 4. IIRC first is ~2.80ish, and OD is .8.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)