Quote:

BTW, the splayed spring design is a handling benefit that is designed in to all E bodies, post 72 B bodies, and all FJM bodies. E bodies are narrower at the front, while all other are narrower in the rear. What the splayed mount does is put the spring in a position that provides additional torsional resistance to the leaf, hence more roll resistance to the body, and minimizes roll steer by the rear housing moving and altering wheelbase length. The extra tread width doesn't contribute to either of these attributes.

Thanks, that explains it, useful info. FWIW my point about the extra tread width was not that I expected it to directly compensate for the loss of splayed spring benefit (whatever it was) but just that usually one of the most significant 'handling' improvements is better tires. Therefore I was suggesting that even though a benefit may have been lost, the one that was gained is also significant - probably more so than what was lost!
Or to put it the other way around - if it isn't then there is not much point in doing this unless you don't care about cornering.