Quote:

I know exactly what you said, what I'm saying is, IF IF IF IF the problem is something on the wiring as I described, THE ALTERNATOR VOLTAGE WILL BE IRRELEVANT and may in fact be "very high."

READ IT AGAIN. If a wiring fault has disconnected the alternator output from the battery, and left the voltage supply to the regulator IGN terminal going to the battery, then the regulator will "think" the battery is low (which it WILL be) and will ramp up the field current, causing a HIGH voltage condition at the alternator output. IT WILL NOT BE nominal 13.5-14.5 V, it WILL BE in fact much higher and CAN in fact cause this very problem.

I go with this analysis also. It may be in the splice indicated above, OR, looking at the schematic for '72, he may get lucky. I believe it could be just on the inside of the bulkhead connector on terminal 18 where the alternator output comes through the bulkhead connector to feed that splice. It's possible that pushing the new harness on from the engine side pushed the terminal out of the bulkhead connector on the cabin side. If so, it'd be relatively easy to replace the terminal with one from an electrical parts store with the proper barb on it to retain it in the bulkhead connector sleeve location.