Quote:

I would love to fix the problem with the lights coming on only in run, except I have no idea at this point. I realize wiring problem somewhere but keep in mind, I have been up and down this harness now, and Im not seeing any added splice. I have found 2 splices but wire was put back (in other words looks like it was broke and properly repaired).

It may look to be properly repaired, but looks can be deceiving. I hope you have a FSM to follow along on the schematic. My FSM is '72, so may be a little different. The feed to the HL switch is 12 gauge black to terminal on switch labelled B1. If, for whatever reason by PO, it was cut or replaced to be supplied only in run (maybe they ran down the battery for some reason), he might have used a dark blue ignition feed wire from somewhere in the harness to replace the black feed for the HL switch. If so, that would explain the on-only-in-run phenomenon, and explain the flicker at idle due to no charge from alternator and nature of power use by coil.
Additionally, if the dark blue wire he used was the one that goes out to terminal 23 on the bulkhead connector, that MIGHT explain why the VR gets low power and therefore doesn't allow the alternator to charge, even though the harness on the engine side of the bulkhead connector is new and in perfect shape.

Quote:

So nothing has been added in the harness. The engine bay harness is new. I will keep at it tomorrow, was hoping someone has encountered this. From what I can tell checking alt , it is not charging the car.

I may be out in left field here with what I described above, but a few things can be checked pretty easily. I assume the car runs fine without the lights on (except for the charging issue). With the car not running, but the key in "run", see if there is power to the blue wire on the electronic VR harness. There should be, if the car runs. If not, something is goofy with the new harness, and I'm at a loss. The problem is probably in the cabin side of the dash harness with the hot (black wire) factory splices and ignition feed (blue wire) factory splices. Maybe one of the black wire splices went bad at some point with the PO, and he pulled power for the HL switch from whatever he found that had power with the key on.

I'm really curious about what you find with this. I've never heard of it before. Good luck.
-Marq