As you can see in this shot, it had been hit lightly in the rear end passenger side bumper area and the front passenger side fender had a little body damage when I got it, but it was virtually rust free. The vinyl top and paint still looked good back then. I remember taking the trunk mat out ot the trunk, because it was wet underneath it and taking the plugs out and rinsing out the lower quarter panels, because my cousin had put the battery in the trunk, but didn't use a battey box. Some of the white acid had gotten in there and I wanted to neutralize it with baking soda and water. The paint was not too bad back then and it was a cool looking ride even though the tires and rims where some kind of uni-lug design. The interior was white, but had already started to yellow on top of the door panels and the front seats were kind of torn up.

One of the rear tires came loose once and bent the driver's side lower quarter panel up a bit. I eventually had to replace the lower quarter panel extentions because of all this, but only the lowest portions. It was the only rust on the car. I think it was the battery acid that was the real culprit.

The car was parked in the early '80's in my parents garage with about 54k miles on the clock. Hard miles, but the original numbers matching engine and transmision were still safely in the car. It sat there for about a decade and a half only to end up in a secure trailer storage yard for another decade, and then from I finally got a house and more importantly a garage where I could plan her resurection.

I found and bought all the original shaker and intake parts back in the 80's along with a tresure trove of other parts waiting for the day where I had the time, the place, the money and the patience to bring her back to her former glory....and maybe a little beyond.

...and by the way, I started the restoration a couple of years ago and have been making good progress. I only recently discovered this thread and figured I better start from the beginning and post my progress.

Last edited by jbc426; 10/05/10 05:03 PM.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)