Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by B1MAXX
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Removing the nut is the easy part, it is them dang taper hubs that suck getting off, especially the driver side puke rant
I forgot to add heating up with a torch to cherry red will help also if your using a puller up scope wrench

I hear ya but I cant believe that a sledge won't take it off in a few whacks if we're not trying to save anything from the backing plate out.

I can, BTDT, years ago had one launch into the next work bay fortunately nothing was in it's path. That is when I learned to leave the nut on as not only would it have prevented the launch, it would have also prevented the mushrooming of the axle They can be an SOB to get off. other times not.

i have also heard that loosening the nut a turn or so and driving the car around L & R turns will sometimes break them loose. never tried it though beer

loosening the nut and driving around in tight figure eights does work ! i have done it a few times. it also helps to jam on the brakes.
this also works great when you have an alloy wheel seize to the axle shaft due to galvanic corrosion. just loosen the lugnuts a couple of turns and drive in figure eights, jamming on the brakes as well.
when you get the wheel off, make sure to clean the hub and wheel register good, then apply a dab of anti-seize to the wheel and axle to prevent this from happening in the future.
beer