So...back to an annoying but potentially serious item - engine noise. There still seems to be excessive lifter chatter (or something else?) coming from my '02 Magnum 360 (video below).

Engine had ~125k miles on it, stored it for 3 years, then I 'restored' it - not a full rebuild but took it down to the rear main seal and refreshed all the gaskets. Cleaned the heads, new/bigger Comp 'truck' cam (#20-745-9: 212-218 (264/270), .480/.480, on a 114* LSA). Disassembled/sonic-cleaned the roller lifters, and with 10W30 in it it's sounded 'chattery'. On a recommendation I installed .036 longer pushrods, but alas that didn't eliminate the chatter.

In the above reply I'd poured in 10W30, which I thought was helpful but after a short while it wasn't, and my oil pressure was dipping into the high teens at hot idle - not awesome. So with nothing really to lose I poured in 5 quarts of Valvoline VR1 20w50 and it got (and remained) noticeably quieter tho still more noisy than I like; oil pressure almost doubled at hot idle (bearings still have 125k miles on 'em so ok). Does not appear to burn oil nor smell like oil out the pipe.

The thicker oil definitely decreased the chatter...and upped the oil pressure at hot idle (good). So...I'm thinking the thicker oil simply provided more 'padding' around the lifters...which may simply indicate the lifters are just wore out......maybe (?).

Found two intake manifold leaks so the intake is back off...and I have a decision to make - replace the lifters with new.....or is the noise 'normal' for a Magnum, especially considering it has a Performer RPM intake on it (which as I understand can 'transmit' a lot more engine noise than the stock kegger).

While it's apart I am intending to pull the valve covers and check the pushrod length to make sure it's spot on.

Appreciate any comments.

https://youtu.be/kr2_KfWM4vQ

Last edited by Mad-Max; 02/14/24 11:33 AM.

71 Demon (project): 318, A-833od, 8-3/4, 3.23's
14 Wrangler JKU M-380 "Kilroy" (under construction): Magnum 360, 46rh, Atlas4, D60/14b-5.38s-Grizzlys, 40s
07 Ram 3500 MegaDually 4x4 "Big Mack": 5.9 6BT, G56 'Toy Hauler'
52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"