[I personally am very skeptical of the alleged real uniqueness of trailer rated tires, other than its a legal escape clause for manufacturer liability. Weight limits and size are of course another matter. Semi's often have all position tires used, steering, drive and trailer.

I don’t know why you’d doubt an ST tire is a specific build. Sidewall flex is the issue and thise are stiffer. You don’t run them on a truck because they’d beat you to death.

Running an LT tire on a trailer reduces the load rating by 11%. Due to sidewall flex they run hotter and hence the derating. I dunno if you’d get a ticket for it or not, but I’ve seen them on trailers for years and years.

quote=SomeCarGuy]
Originally Posted by jcc
Well, it's not a problem with semi's. Any potential issues with sidewall flex will be on a multi axle trailer and at under 5 mph.

What are you even talking about? You didn’t know what the deal was with an ST tire. I gave you the facts. [/quote]
I don't see any need to repeat myself.
Maybe if you were more specific in expressing your confusion, I might be able to clarify.
Tell me, what is the deal with an ST tire with facts rather than claims. Are you saying with the same size tire with same load rating category a LT is rated significantly different than a ST? Even if so, the marked load rating chosen should match or exceed the application, period.
BTW, tire sidewall flex on a trailer tire is only extreme when doing tight turns on tandem+ axle trailers which is usually at the low speeds speaking of "facts".
Normal sidewall flex is of no greater concern on a trailer vs any other vehicles under normal driving conditions that I haven't already noted above and requiring no special consideration for sidewall stiffness., but if you got facts to prove otherwise, I'm all ears.
I believe I debunked your stiffness concern by noting semis's have and use often all position tires and your noted stiffness seems to be of little concern it appears with all position rated tires..

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.