Originally Posted by poorboy
Aluminum or steel?

When (not if) the aluminum cracks, its screwed. The material has reached its stress point, any repair increases the problem, it adds new stress points. Steel can at least be repaired.

Aluminum does not rust, but is does corrode, and that corrosion is amplified at any point the aluminum is against steel. Corrosion on aluminum has the same effect as a crack in aluminum, except welding on the corroded aluminum is a lost cause.

I find it interesting that the guy that doesn't want to buy a used trailer because the cost is close to the new price, is concerned about the value of a new trailer he wants to buy and sell in a year. Because the trailer is HIS, people are going to line up to buy his one year old trailer and near the cost of a brand new one?

The deal with trailers is, you buy the one you want now, then 5 years down the road, you can probably can get your money back out of it if its still in good shape. Not because your trailer is now so valuable, but because the new trailers are more expensive, so the one you have, priced at what you paid for it 5 years ago is now a bargain.

Rules for buying a trailer,
1) Don't buy the cheapest trailer you can find. Its the cheapest because someone cut corners someplace.
2) Choose the length of trailer carefully. Long trailers offer more space, but are harder to maneuver, and they take up a lot more space when they are not being used.
3) Aluminum or steel? The older the trailer gets, the more problems they have. An enclosed trailer you don't have much choice, but on an open trailer, if saving weight is not a high priority, steel may be better.
4) On an open trailer, pay attention to the fender height, and the ramp length. Will you be able to open the door on a car on the trailer? Longer ramps weigh more, but improve the loading angle.
5) Hinges on loading ramps. The hinges location on most trailer loading ramps are in bad locations and can deteriorate pretty fast. Those are usually the least lubricated things on trailers, and are usually a royal pain to replace.
6) If you want to get your money back out of a trailer, expect to keep it at least 5 years, and take really good care of it.

Im not against buying used at all.

But seems all the used ones I see are priced close to , same as or even more than some new ones. Thus why I am asking for options/ opinions.

My purpose here is I have a trip back east with the car next year I want to do. And all in Im looking at a 4000 - 4500 mile round trip. Alum will save me a little on overall weight and maybe a little off the fuel bill. But if resell is less desirable, then I will rule that out.

Renting a U haul will cost me almost $1500 by the time Im done. And I have Nothing to show for it. Thus why I started to look at just buying one and resell it when my trips were done. And Not loose 1500 if at all possible.

I missed a nice looking 2020 18ft flat deck trailer today for $3500 . Spare tire and winch were included. I saw it 3 or 4 hours after it was listed, and the guy said he had a guy enroute to ck it out.

He marked it sold shortly after
Ive decided at a minimum 16ft. and max of 18ft due to storage constraints getting it in and out of where i will store it