Originally Posted by 340Cuda
Lot's of positives for Texas but one negative that I don't think was mentioned was a rather fragile power infrastructure.

That would not be true, but what do you expect from an Okie, lol. Texas' grid is optimized for hot weather conditions, not snowmageddon. We get snowmageddon once in a lifetime, heat every freaking year. They have been doing a lot of infrastructure upgrades, I see it all over the place as I travel around the state. Who knows if it's the upgrades we need though, lol.

Texas is a pretty damned big place.

I live in west Texas. In the past month I have had the misfortune of having driven to DFW, (Princeton), Houston (Lake Jackson) and Austin. I lived in Austin a few years back in the mid 90's. I hate big cities, too crowed, too much traffic and too expensive.

Thursday I drove up to Amarillo (Thru Lubbock) and back on Friday, very nice, no traffic to speak of. Housing isn't so crazy priced.

As for property taxes, well I paid a total of $3,226.40 last year on an appraised valuation of $199,530.

So I don't know who's paying $9k, but it isn't me. BTW, all this is public info available online.

To be fair you'd have to add your property taxes, personal property taxes and income tax up to see how you compare. My registration costs were ~$75 last year, for the BMW and the 51 Plymouth, each. I could get antique plates for the 51 and not pay registration each year, but I like to be able to just jump in it and drive wherever I want, whenever I want.